[SOLVED] New gaming rig Completely shutdown (Shop can't fix it) (replaced mobo/ram/power)

Apr 22, 2020
I am completely new to desktop pc's. In the past I always bought MSI/HP Omen laptops. Loved those laptops but I wanted to push the gaming rig even further. Last weekend I bought all the computer parts that I wanted (see list below). The only issue was that I had no experience in building the PC. Because of that I asked my friend to build it for me. Right now I am quite sad. I been having issues with the build since day 2.

Currently the computer can randomly crash at random times. It can crash in 1hour, 2 hours or even 3 hours+. The crash occur mostly under load but today it even happens when doing some school documentation. The temps are quite decent. CPU - 70C / CPU 55-60C.
Whenever the crash happens my keyboard / mouse loses power, I get a completely black screen (monitor still on) and the computer instantly boot's up again. No error, no blue screen.

I had two situations:
In the first situation the computer boots up and POSTS. It will work just as intended. I can do tests and play around on it until it crashes again.

The second situation is that the computer won't boot at all. It will get into a crash loop. The crash will happen right after booting up (after seeing the motherboard work) or just after windows started. It can cancel windows repair and shutdown again.

I have brought the computer to a repair shop, they switched the RAM slots and said it would work again and they enabled XMP on the RAM slots (they run 3600 hz, 1.35V) . After this change the crashes happen a lot less often. However they do still happen. Today it crashed while doing school work. (It didn't crash in my 6 hours gaming session in call of duty warzone).
You guys are my last hope to help me out.

I have no idea how I can solve this issue.

IMPORTANT
I have purchased new RAM / Power supply and tested it with that. It still randomly shut down after 40 minutes. Total cost is around 3000 now, and it's still not working :(. I am very very upset.

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case -
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
I am not familiar enough with that mobo to know if it had dual BIOS but in no way shape or form would I attempt to update a BIOS on a machine randomly crashing.

With that said.
If you boot directly to BIOS and let it run, will it crash?

Edit- just noticed what case you have. Drop the side panel and see if it stops crashing.

First, just start with reseating everything, make sure the ram is firmly in place, graphics card is firmly in place, reseat the cpu, and check the thermal contact with the cpu cooler, and make sure it is screwed or latched down all the way. Check your GPU temps, if the fans arent running and youre playing a video or graphic that can eventually cause enough of a heatload for a crash. Baring a basic reseat...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am not familiar enough with that mobo to know if it had dual BIOS but in no way shape or form would I attempt to update a BIOS on a machine randomly crashing.

With that said.

Edit- just noticed what case you have. Drop the side panel and see if it stops crashing.

Reactions: artk2219

artk2219

Distinguished

With that said.

First, just start with reseating everything, make sure the ram is firmly in place, graphics card is firmly in place, reseat the cpu, and check the thermal contact with the cpu cooler, and make sure it is screwed or latched down all the way. Check your GPU temps, if the fans arent running and youre playing a video or graphic that can eventually cause enough of a heatload for a crash. Baring a basic reseat and check, youre not going to like my answer, but its basically start swapping parts :-/. Now with what youve said i would start with looking at the core components, mobo, cpu, ram. Maybe swap out to a basic video card if you can find one that you know works laying around. Next I would run the built in memtest with windows 10 (link below) or download and run a ram test that would verify your ram before you get into an OS. Typically CPU's are not the problem, in the past 10 years ive seen maybe two bad cpu's, so i would leave this as the final part swap. You could get another motherboard (it doesnt have to be great, an a320, b350, or b450 board will work fine for testing), move everything over to it, and see if it crashes in the same way. If it does, move to checking and replacing the disk, if it doesn't, theres your answer.

Solution
Apr 22, 2020

With that said.

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely check this out. Currently installing a fresh mobo (same one) to see if this solves the problem.

Apr 22, 2020
First, just start with reseating everything, make sure the ram is firmly in place, graphics card is firmly in place, reseat the cpu, and check the thermal contact with the cpu cooler, and make sure it is screwed or latched down all the way. Check your GPU temps, if the fans arent running and youre playing a video or graphic that can eventually cause enough of a heatload for a crash. Baring a basic reseat and check, youre not going to like my answer, but its basically start swapping parts :-/. Now with what youve said i would start with looking at the core components, mobo, cpu, ram. Maybe swap out to a basic video card if you can find one that you know works laying around. Next I would run the built in memtest with windows 10 (link below) or download and run a ram test that would verify your ram before you get into an OS. Typically CPU's are not the problem, in the past 10 years ive seen maybe two bad cpu's, so i would leave this as the final part swap. You could get another motherboard (it doesnt have to be great, an a320, b350, or b450 board will work fine for testing), move everything over to it, and see if it crashes in the same way. If it does, move to checking and replacing the disk, if it doesn't, theres your answer.

Thanks you and everybody for taking your time to respond. I have orderd new ram, new mobo and a new power supply to replace everything. All my old parts are going to be send back to the store. Heat wasn't the problem, it was crashing off-load/load and temps are fine (and all fans were spinning).

As I edited in my post, replacing the power supply/ram didn't solve the problem. Right now the computer is disabled and the mobo will be replaced. If this doesn't work... I be screaming haha.

Apr 22, 2020
So last night I finished reinstalling a brand new MOBO into the pc. And yes. It still crashed.

I did update it to bios: X570 Pro4 2.60 4/16/2020 .

I have no idea what to do next..

Turn off automatic reboot on system failure.
Should get BSOD next time.

109014d1485973748-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a-bsod_auto_restart-2.png

Apr 22, 2020
Yep instant shutdowns are typically power or thermal issues, do you still have that other psu you could swap back out with? You're sure theres good thermal contact between the cooler and cpu? Theres no sticker or anything stuck to the bottom of the cooler?
I did replace the PSU. It still had the same issue. There was enough thermal paste and it was definitely not overheating (40-70C on load)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hi, currently its getting investigated by an pc store. I will do this asap whenever I receive it back. Could you further explain this tho?

The Phanteks P series cases are famous for poor air flow. They designed a new mesh front panel, something like an "A" designation. See if they sell one for your case.
I would not particularly trust temp programs on Ryzen without further verification. They are famous for being wrong. I have a 1700 system that does a thermal shutdown at indicated 60C on HW Mon.

Apr 22, 2020
The Phanteks P series cases are famous for poor air flow. They designed a new mesh front panel, something like an "A" designation. See if they sell one for your case.
I would not particularly trust temp programs on Ryzen without further verification. They are famous for being wrong. I have a 1700 system that does a thermal shutdown at indicated 60C on HW Mon.
But how does it explain that the system can crash within seconds after starting up? Could the temperature rise so high within seconds to shut it down?

I am however going to try this. The pc store couldnt find the solution (2nd time). So I have to troubleshoot myself again..