New gaming rig (feedback and concerns please)

Jan 12, 2019
Dear All

I’ve purchased a bunch of parts with an aim to build a new gaming rig. I havent built a PC for a long time, so id been really keen to get your feedback on the parts I’ve chosen, and if you see any issues. Im aiming for maximum FPS, 4K gaming, and mild over clocking,

Parts purchased:

- Intel i9 9900k
- Noctua DH15 cooler
- Asus STRIX Z390-H
- Samsung Evo 970 M2 SSD
- 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
- Palit 2080ti OC Gaming Pro
- Corsair 750i Platinum PSU
- Corsair Obsidian 750D airflow edition (full tower)

The only concern I have is if the Mobo is going to affect anything? I notice it doesn’t have a M2 heatsink when others do, will this matter?

Thanks so much for your comments and advice.

Andy

Solution
A very nice top end build.

m.2 heat sink is not necessary. Under continuous sequential processing, it takes some 30 seconds to heat up the ssd to the point where it might throttle a bit.
This might happen perhaps on a virus scan.
Not something I would worry about.
If you ever think you might have a problem, there are aftermarket m.2 heat sinks available.
I would not bother.

Noctua NH-D15 is a very good cooler and entirely appropriate.
I might look at the newer s suffix variant, the NH-D15s which is similarly priced.
It is redesigned to clear tall ram and is offset to clear graphics card backplates when the card is mounted in the first pcie x16 slot.

The guts of any RTX2080ti are made by nvidia.
The differences in cards is the...
Not as much of an Intel guy, but I've run an nvme drive for over a year now (fits the m.2 slot, just faster speed). But I've never really experienced any issues without using a heatsink. A friend of mine also has one with no heatsink and I don't know of any issues with his either. So I would say on that, depending where they have the m.2 slot, as long as you have adequate airflow you should be fine.

A very nice top end build.

m.2 heat sink is not necessary. Under continuous sequential processing, it takes some 30 seconds to heat up the ssd to the point where it might throttle a bit.
This might happen perhaps on a virus scan.
Not something I would worry about.
If you ever think you might have a problem, there are aftermarket m.2 heat sinks available.
I would not bother.

Noctua NH-D15 is a very good cooler and entirely appropriate.
I might look at the newer s suffix variant, the NH-D15s which is similarly priced.
It is redesigned to clear tall ram and is offset to clear graphics card backplates when the card is mounted in the first pcie x16 slot.

The guts of any RTX2080ti are made by nvidia.
The differences in cards is the fanciness of the cooler and the amount of factory overclock.
As a brand in the US, I like EVGA for their support.
You will get fair value from a factory overclocked card, but I would pass on the most extreme versions.

Solution