New gaming rig really hot?

polawyz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Hey everyone! I recently built a new gaming rig, but for some reason it gets really hot. The specs are below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor (stock heatsink fan)
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GPU: EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 80 PLUS Certified
CASE: Antec DF-35 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129088)

All of the case fans are running at full speed and I installed an optional 120mm fan on the cover that blows cold air directly onto the graphics card. On idle, the average CPU core temperature was about 48 degrees C and the GPU temperature was about 40 degrees C. My room temperature was about 78 degrees F.

Under stress (playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 on max settings, 1920 x 1080), the CPU and GPU temperatures would hit 80 degrees C. After playing for sometime, I noticed my framerate would drop dramatically and if I didn't quit in the next 10 seconds, the computer would shut down. I opening up the case and did some re-wiring to improve air flow, and also lowered my thermostat so my current room temperature is 70 degrees C. The idle temperatures improved, but the computer would still shut down after playing more than 30 minutes of Bad Company 2.

I understand that an after market CPU cooler would improve the core temperatures, but what should I do about the GPU? I already have a fan blowing directly onto it. I also feel that the i7 with a stock heatsink fan shouldn't overheat to the point of shutting down by just playing a game. Is this normal with i7s? Thanks a lot for your time.

Yes a stock HSF will help the processor . Hopefully you didnt add more TIM than was already on the heatsink .

nVidia graphics card at 80C would be pretty normal . I have never been able to sell any nVidia card when I upgraded . Every single one had died .
Though to be fair top end Radeons run nearly as hot

polawyz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

All the voltages seem to be normal.

I didn't add any more thermal paste. The paste was already on the stock heatsink when it came. Honestly, I would expect the i7 and GTX 580 to handle these high temperatures, but they actually cause my computer to shut down.

I'm assuming you meant aftermarket? ;)
My EVGA GTX 460s and 470s never hit 70C, even in 3-way SLI. It's all about airflow.

@OP - The Hyper 212+ would be a good investment for your CPU, but let's try and work through your case airflow first since the CPU cooler doesn't necessarily seem to be the problem.
It seems like there's an airflow issue rather than a cooler issue because your idle temps are definitely within the normal range (CPU idling at 48C is high for my taste).

Check all of the fans (especially the side fan) - there are arrows on the side of the fan that show the direction of the fan blades and the direction of the airflow through the fan.
The front fans should be set up to intake through the front, and the top/rear fans should be exhausting. The side fan should be intake as you have set it up, because your card has an external exhaust cooler. If you change any of the fans, test your set up again before doing anything else in order to verify that your changes fixed/worsened the problem.

After that, another issue may actually be the stock cooler - the i7-900 chips are pretty hot chips, and the stock cooler just moves hot air through your case. Something like the Hyper 212+ may help, and it's cheap enough to experiment with (only ~$30 on Amazon). The fan(s) should be set up to move the air toward one of the exhaust fans on either the top or rear, depending on how you mount the cooler. This should help funnel the heat from the CPU out of the case immediately.

How are you checking your system temps? Just curious.

TRENDING THREADS