[SOLVED] New gaming rig

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
So I am building a new gaming PC and was wondering what you would all consider putting in it. I want to game at 1080p 240hz or 1440p, 165hz (still choosing what one and I will have x2 monitors), streaming, photoshop, video editing. Aesthetics also matter as it will be seen quite a bit.

Solution
Well, the point is, you can change the LED color on it, to anything reasonable within the normal RGB spectrum, so that you can at least match it to whatever the primary color is you are using on the rest of your RGB. Honestly, I'm pretty nit picky about the looks of my system, and systems I build, but being real I have to say that the performance and product support of my options far outweigh any aesthetic considerations. If I can satisfy my primary concern with a high quality product that I know has very good support after the sale, and get a few extra features too, then great. Otherwise, I'll stick to a good product selection and get my RGB elsewhere such as lighting strips and other accessories. But I understand not everybody shares...

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
I Recommend you should maybe spend 2000-3000 for such high demanding system requirements.

Will you be OK spending thousands on a PC? If you are getting a 165-240hz 1080p-1440p monitor, than you will need to spend lots for a really fast PC if you want to be able to run those high demanding settings. Or else their will be monitor bottlenecks.

Last edited:

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
Some of the hardware build guys here are extraordinary in their knowledge. I took their advice a year ago and have been extremely happy with the result. I'm not on their level.

However, if I was building a new system like you're describing it would be centered around either a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X CPU or an Intel Core i9-9900K. The AMD is my choice if you're not going to overclock. If you're going to overclock, the Intel Core i9-9900K has more headroom. Read: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-9_3900x-vs-intel-core_i7-9900k,6225.html

From the CPU you select, everything else follows...

2plash6

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 23, 2019
I recommend you should get a high end threadripper, or an extreme edition Intel core processor,
paired with more than just a 2080 ti. You will definitely need something like a Titan XP or Titan rtx. Also get RAM with at least 2800mhz, but if you can afford, than I would recommend you use 3000mhz+ memory.

The i9-9900k along with a 2080 ti just would not do the trick.

g-unit1111

Titan
I recommend you should get a high end threadripper, or an extreme edition Intel core processor,
paired with more than just a 2080 ti. You will definitely need something like a Titan XP or Titan rtx. Also get RAM with at least 2800mhz, but if you can afford, than I would recommend you use 3000mhz+ memory.

The i9-9900k along with a 2080 ti just would not do the trick.

This is completely wrong, on every level. A Titan RTX? Only if you like to go for broke. Threadrippers are not gaming CPUs. They are meant for content creation applications that utilize the multi-core CPUs. For gaming the 9900KS and the R7-3700X are much better suited to gaming / everyday applications and you won't need to break the bank for them. You will not be able to get that combination of hardware and come out less than $3,000.

LWFG001

Commendable
Apr 12, 2017
I agree g-unit1111. The benchmarks in this review confirm what you are saying: https://www.techspot.com/review/1869-amd-ryzen-3900x-ryzen-3700x/

^Sorry 2plash6 but you're just wrong on this one, the benchmarks tell the story. Read the article.

Now the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU with an inexpensive motherboard (but the fastest 16GB of RAM the motherboard will allow) in a value case really keeps the price down on a build, no doubt about it.

BUT the AMD Ryzen 9 3000 series on a ASRock X570 Steel Legend motherboard with the same RAM and a great case is not much more yet REALLY SHINES. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2plash6
In order to run 240hz, or 165hz, along with 1080p-1440p resolution, you would need more like a threadripper or an extreme edition intel CPU.

No, you wouldn't. Everything you are saying is patently false, so either you don't know what you are talking about or you are trying to troll the OP. In either case, it's probably best if you just sit back for a while until you understand more fully what it is you are actually talking about, or if you are trolling, that you stop, before it becomes necessary for us to stop you FOR you.

Reactions: Fate05 and 2plash6
Have to agree with Titan and Darkbreeze....A Intel 9700K or 9900K/KS plus RTX 2080Ti will do a great job for 1080P high refresh gaming and be fairly good on the Photoshop side. It will also handle streaming and the like though the 3900X should also be conidered though again at 1080P the 9900K comes to mind.

Below is just an example build and others will jump in with better suggestions. This includes the 9900KS which is the all core 5GHz CPU and it seems to overclock to 5.2GHz if you want to overclock...you can up the ram as well to 32GB if required as the RAM is very cost effective...

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YCVMZf

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KS 4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($524.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card ($1098.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2509.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 16:03 EST-0500

Reactions: Fate05 and LWFG001

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
In order to run 240hz, or 165hz, along with 1080p-1440p resolution, you would need more like a threadripper or an extreme edition intel CPU.

Not at all. I see 9700k's run 4k at 60+ FPS. Threadripper and intel extreme ARE NOT gaming CPU's. Sure they have high c/t's and they are the high end but for gaming you need better single core performance as lot of games run on a max of 4...

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Have to agree with Titan and Darkbreeze....A Intel 9700K or 9900K/KS plus RTX 2080Ti will do a great job for 1080P high refresh gaming and be fairly good on the Photoshop side. It will also handle streaming and the like though the 3900X should also be conidered though again at 1080P the 9900K comes to mind.

Below is just an example build and others will jump in with better suggestions. This includes the 9900KS which is the all core 5GHz CPU and it seems to overclock to 5.2GHz if you want to overclock...you can up the ram as well to 32GB if required as the RAM is very cost effective...

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YCVMZf

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KS 4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($524.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($95.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Black Video Card ($1098.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $2509.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-03 16:03 EST-0500

Looks like a very good list. I have looked at some benchmarks and the 9900k and 9700k seem to be nearly identical when it comes to gaming and streaming so why not save some money and go with the 9700k? I have heard Asus boards haven't had the best VRM's this time around (Z390) but I really like the look of the XI Formula.
Apparently the Aorus 2080 Ti Extreme has really average temps but I love the look of it...

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Looks like a very good list. I have looked at some benchmarks and the 9900k and 9700k seem to be nearly identical when it comes to gaming and streaming so why not save some money and go with the 9700k? I have heard Asus boards haven't had the best VRM's this time around (Z390) but I really like the look of the XI Formula.
Apparently the Aorus 2080 Ti Extreme has really average temps but I love the look of it...

I am going with the lian li 011 xl for the case, with x9 LL120's from Corsair

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
This is what I currently have
CPU - i7 9700k
GPU - Aorus 2080 Ti Xtreme (Vertically mounted)
RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (4x8GB) @3200mhz
PSU - EVGA Supernova G3 850w
CASE - Lian Li 011 XL
CASE FANS - Corsair LL120 x9
STORAGE - Samsung 970 Evo 1TB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Yep that is why I went with the Gigagyte Aorus Z390 Ultra which has one of the best 12 phase VRM's of all the Z390 boards. Super solid motherboard and not a bad price for a top end board and also the Gigabyte Z390 Master which is just a little more is also extremely good with a 12 phase VRM and a proper finned heatsinc...

CPU - i7 9700k
CASE - Lian Li 011 XL

All good....great gaming CPU, great power supply, great case on the GPU, I would go also look at the MSI RTX 2080TI Gaming X which is very, very good both on cooling and boost though the overall difference will not be great.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
All good....great gaming CPU, great power supply, great case on the GPU, I would go also look at the MSI RTX 2080TI Gaming X which is very, very good both on cooling and boost though the overall difference will not be great.

I did look at the MSI card. Not my favorite. Would prefer the aorus, asus or evga triple fan one

CPU - i7 9700k
CASE - Lian Li 011 XL

There are issues with this. For one, you don't ever want to run four DIMMs on a dual channel motherboard if you can get to the memory capacity you want to run using only two DIMMs. Four DIMMs unnecessarily puts additional stress on the internal memory controller and adds heat to the CPU package that doesn't need to be there. When four DIMMs are necessary, then fine, use four DIMMs, otherwise, using only two would be much preferred. If it's an aesthetic thing having all four DIMMs populated, there are even dummy DIMMs now, even RGB ones, though honestly I don't recommend using them or see the point. You don't need four DIMMs for your build to look good or for it to perform well.

The advantages of using only two DIMMs far outweight the imagined benefits of having four. You can easily do a 2 x16GB kit for your 32GB, and not only is that helpful, but it also leaves room so you CAN add another two DIMMs, down the road, if for some crazy reason you ever decide you need more than 32GB.

I would also avoid the Corsair LL120's. They are not quiet. Practically every review of them shows that clearly. Are you looking for cooling performance or looks, in your choice of case fans?

The vertical mounted GPUs are gimmicky. Yes, it has a certain aesthetic appeal, but it also comes with thermal issues. Look at any review of vertical mounted GPUs and you'll find that there is a thermal penalty to pay when you do that.

The cablemod mount helps with that, somewhat, but it probably matter what case you have AND going back to the fans again, it almost certainly matters that you have fans that have terrific airflow, and since you'll probably be running them fairly fast under load conditions with this kind of hardware it would be my opinion that you would want fans that are able to do that while maintaining very low noise levels, rather than fans that simply give you a nice pretty array of colors. Honestly, you can't have both. There are no really good quality fans that have RGB and there are no high quality RGB fans with good static pressure and low noise levels at high RPM. There just aren't, so choices have to be made as to what is more important.

I also don't see any mention of a CPU cooler there, so it would be helpful to know what your plans are as far as cooling the CPU, and I apologize if it's mentioned here somewhere but if it is I missed it.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
There are issues with this. For one, you don't ever want to run four DIMMs on a dual channel motherboard if you can get to the memory capacity you want to run using only two DIMMs. Four DIMMs unnecessarily puts additional stress on the internal memory controller and adds heat to the CPU package that doesn't need to be there. When four DIMMs are necessary, then fine, use four DIMMs, otherwise, using only two would be much preferred. If it's an aesthetic thing having all four DIMMs populated, there are even dummy DIMMs now, even RGB ones, though honestly I don't recommend using them or see the point. You don't need four DIMMs for your build to look good or for it to perform well.

The advantages of using only two DIMMs far outweight the imagined benefits of having four. You can easily do a 2 x16GB kit for your 32GB, and not only is that helpful, but it also leaves room so you CAN add another two DIMMs, down the road, if for some crazy reason you ever decide you need more than 32GB.

I would also avoid the Corsair LL120's. They are not quiet. Practically every review of them shows that clearly. Are you looking for cooling performance or looks, in your choice of case fans?

The vertical mounted GPUs are gimmicky. Yes, it has a certain aesthetic appeal, but it also comes with thermal issues. Look at any review of vertical mounted GPUs and you'll find that there is a thermal penalty to pay when you do that.

The cablemod mount helps with that, somewhat, but it probably matter what case you have AND going back to the fans again, it almost certainly matters that you have fans that have terrific airflow, and since you'll probably be running them fairly fast under load conditions with this kind of hardware it would be my opinion that you would want fans that are able to do that while maintaining very low noise levels, rather than fans that simply give you a nice pretty array of colors. Honestly, you can't have both. There are no really good quality fans that have RGB and there are no high quality RGB fans with good static pressure and low noise levels at high RPM. There just aren't, so choices have to be made as to what is more important.

I also don't see any mention of a CPU cooler there, so it would be helpful to know what your plans are as far as cooling the CPU, and I apologize if it's mentioned here somewhere but if it is I missed it.

For RAM I went with 4 dimms purely for aesthetic looks but if it really makes a difference I can get x2 16GB sticks. Cooler is either the Corsair H150i Pro or NZXT Kraken x72. With the LL120 fans I read a review (https://www.windowscentral.com/corsair-ll120-rgb-fans) and they seemed fine. I don't mind the volume as such as I will always have headphones on or my speakers going. Only time sound matters is when I put the RPM low and show it off to who ever comes over but other than that probably 50-100% fan speed all the time

H150i Pro is fine.

The 2 x16GB would be a better choice but really it's up to you. "I" would definitely go with two DIMMs if it were my build.

If you're happy with the fans as is, then that's obviously all that matters really. Seems like it will be a very nice build.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
H150i Pro is fine.

The 2 x16GB would be a better choice but really it's up to you. "I" would definitely go with two DIMMs if it were my build.

If you're happy with the fans as is, then that's obviously all that matters really. Seems like it will be a very nice build.

So 2x16GB would be much more beneficial? And H150i Pro. Got it

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
H150i Pro is fine.

So 2x16GB would be much more beneficial? And H150i Pro. Got it. Also yes ik Vertical GPU mounting hurts thermals and I was considering just keeping it normal if I don't get the Aorus 2080 ti Xtreme. Any 2080ti recommendations? I don't mind the MSI one but prefer the Aorus, Asus and EVGA triple fan ones

If you MUST have a triple fan version of the 2080 ti, then this would be my preferred option. When it comes to Nvidia based graphics cards, unless budget absolutely dictates that it has to be otherwise, such as a lower level card that is on a can't pass up type sale, then EVGA is always my preferred option. Consider, the have by FAR the best customer service after the sale compared to ANY other manufacturer out there, other than a couple of brands they have been doing this for longer than just about anybody else out there and when it comes to card families and series, in reviews, EVGA is one of the very few that you never hear anything "bad" about in terms of card performance, cooling, features or driver compatibility issues.

For me, if I'm buying an Nvidia based card for myself or somebody I am building for, it's going to be an EVGA card. When it comes to their power supplies, they have both very good and very poor examples, but their good ones are very good and their poor ones are VERY poor, however with their graphics cards there are pretty much only good and better.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1403.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1403.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 14:01 EST-0500

Last edited:

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
If you MUST have a triple fan version of the 2080 ti, then this would be my preferred option. When it comes to Nvidia based graphics cards, unless budget absolutely dictates that it has to be otherwise, such as a lower level card that is on a can't pass up type sale, then EVGA is always my preferred option. Consider, the have by FAR the best customer service after the sale compared to ANY other manufacturer out there, other than a couple of brands they have been doing this for longer than just about anybody else out there and when it comes to card families and series, in reviews, EVGA is one of the very few that you never hear anything "bad" about in terms of card performance, cooling, features or driver compatibility issues.

For me, if I'm buying an Nvidia based card for myself or somebody I am building for, it's going to be an EVGA card. When it comes to their power supplies, they have both very good and very poor examples, but their good ones are very good and their poor ones are VERY poor, however with their graphics cards there are pretty much only good and better.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($1403.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1403.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-04 14:01 EST-0500

Thanks a lot man. I did consider this GPU. I like it a lot (even tho there is no RGB but hey), triple fans, EVGA is trustworthy so I will definitely get this one. Thanks a lot! Also are there any good motherboards? I love the looks of this one and not as much the MSI or Gigabyte ones thats why I went Asus =)