New Gaming System ~1000$

Tomxx

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Hi everyone :)
I'm upgrading my whole gaming system, and I'm looking for the perfect combination of components. I would be glad for some advise, both about compatibility and specifics.
Please note: I have to buy it within a few days, I dont do OC nor SLI/Crossfire, and it is important that the system will last for at least 5 years (with a couple of upgrade, if needed). Furthermore, I dont have time to order online, I will have to buy from a local store, (I live in Switzerland) which doesn't sell every brand, therefore, if you have a suggestion please tell me what is "wrong" with the piece that I choose and which characteristic should a better one have, thanks!
The budget of 1000$ is just to give a context...cant really pick the best price online so it doesnt matter.

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-K
CPU: Intel i5 4690
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz 8GB 8GB Kit, PC14900, 240Pin, CL9 (2x4GB)
VGA: Gigabyte GTX 970 WF3 OC
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO Basic
HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black (already owned)
PS: Corsair CX750/FSP Hyper 700/CoolerMaster B700/Corsair CS 650M (really dont know which to pick...XFX non an option)
CPU cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 (is the bundle one not enough?)
Case: Corsair Carbide 300R

Regarding the monitor, I want of course a FullHD, not bigger that 24'' and HDMI is a must, I saw the Samsung S24D300H and the BenQ GL2460HM. What do you think?

Try using Partpicker to hunt down good prices.

Try Asus Z97-A instead

Get 2 x 4gb ram

The stock CPU cooler should be OK (just a bit noisy)

Get a Seasonic 520 or Antec HCG 520M power supply

Tomxx

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Thank you for the answer.

Got it, selected same ram but 2x4gb

Dont have those brands here...besides, would 520w be enough?

Motherboard: why? It costs 45$ more and the only advantages are support to SLI, a DisplayPort and more PCIe slots

RealHardTech recommend 500W for a PC with a gtx970 in it. 750W for 2 of them.

You are in the US unless you say otherwise and those brands are in the US.

If you don't want SLI and don't want to overclock the CPU (which you can't with an i5 4590) then get a H97 mobo. I can't recommend any specific because you won't say where you are. Read the Sticky on how to ask for a build.

Tatsuro

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
for your power supply refer to this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html
when i do builds for people i usually go with tier 2 Class A or tier 1 PSU's it just depends on what they intend to do. Just read the tiers and you can adjust accordingly. For your build, prices can vary, but id Suggest almost any Seasonic/Corsair/XFX/EVGA Tier 2 Class A PSU They're they only ones i recommend now as i got tired and annoyed with RMA Processing + angry Clients. Wouild not recommend any Corsair CS/CX power supplies however.

Also what store are you buying from locally? (if your not buying from microcenter/frys/etc) do they also offer price matches? as it may help you save some money or allow you to use it on other stuff. if your lucky enough to live near a microcenter they often offer CPU/MoBo Deals that cant be beat most of the time :X

Tomxx

Reputable
Feb 5, 2015
Right, thought I mentioned where I live, my fault. I live in Switzerland.
H97 motherboard costs just 20$ less and support RAM speed only up to 1600mhz, it could work for now but not for an upgrade...

Didn't know that the 970 needed so little power, thank you both for the tips about the power supplier :)

No special deals unfortunately, but I do have some discount on everything so that will help.

Tatsuro

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
well if its any help the last build i did Consisted of the following
Xeon 1231V3B (Stock Cooler)
Gigabyte G1 Sniper H97 Mobo
2x4 Corsair Vengance Ram 1600
EVGA GTX 970 (only because the MSIGTX 970 GAMING 4G was constantly sold out)
256 GB SSD/1TB WD Blue
LG DVD Drive
BlackHawk Case
Windows 8.1 Pro
Ran about 1k USD with Keyboard/Mouse & For Reference the computer listed is currently being used as a Gaming/Video Editing Build

TV being used as a Monitor, speaking of which i've heard good thing about that benq monitor you posted so by all means, unless someone else has a better suggestion, go with the BenQ GL2460HM