[SOLVED] New GeForce GTX 1070 TI FTW is choppy and performing poorly

Jan 17, 2019
I installed a brand new card in my machine, hoping to update the graphics on my game play. I loaded up Civ VI and it was terrible, so I switched to GTA and it was the same experience. I changed no in game settings, updated the drivers on the computer and that is it. I even loaded up Fortnite and the background would even load for a few seconds. Settings are set to 60 FPS on medium, it should not be a major issue, especially since my 4 year old video card was handling this just fine. Someone please tell me what could be making my card perform worse than a much older, cheaper model. I listed the specs below. Thank you!

AMD FX 770k Quad Core 3.5 GHz, 16GB of DR3 RAM, WIndows 10 machine and my monitor is a Lenovo Thinkvision Pro 2840M connected through display port.

Solution
That CPU isn't really great for gaming, especially for a CPU intensive game like Civ VI. However, since you say your old card ran things fine then that makes me think the new card isn't installed correctly. Try doing a complete uninstall of the Nvidia drivers, reboot, and install them again. Make sure your power supply can handle this new card and that the pci-ex cable is connected.
That CPU isn't really great for gaming, especially for a CPU intensive game like Civ VI. However, since you say your old card ran things fine then that makes me think the new card isn't installed correctly. Try doing a complete uninstall of the Nvidia drivers, reboot, and install them again. Make sure your power supply can handle this new card and that the pci-ex cable is connected.

Solution
Jan 17, 2019

I will need to pull the power supply out to check it, no visible labels and I purchased it a few years ago. Before that I will try to wipe all drivers completely and perform a fresh re-install and see if that helps.

Jan 17, 2019

16GB DDR3 RAM and I need to pull the power supply to check it, the label is on the opposite side of what is visible.