jon0111

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
I currently have a i7-4790K paired with a 2060 Super and I'm thinking about upgrading soon. I've never used an AMD CPU, but it looks like there is more value to them than Intel's chips right now--at least on paper. Is it better to invest in a more expensive Intel chip, knowing that new motherboards are probably coming out reasonably soon, or switch to AMD and hope that it performs as well. I know some Ryzen's have more cores/threads, etc., but some reviews show that Intel CPUs still perform better. Will the Ryzen work well with my Nvidia GPU? Is one chip a better value in the long run?

For a mid-range setup and opportunities to continue upgrading, what's the smartest route to take?

Solution
I've read that Intel hasn't changed their motherboards in quite a while--therefore, I might have to replace one that I buy now reasonably soon. AMD's boards will pair with future chips for a longer period of time.
So, there's no advantage to pairing a Ryzen GPU with a Ryzen CPU, etc? That's just a marketing thing? I thought there were some compatibility issues now and then.
There is no "Ryzen GPU" except for GPUs integrated in APU processors. As far as, CPU/GPU compatibility is concerned, it's not even a marketing thing, just uneducated guesses. Exception is only what 86zx said. AMD is only one with PCIe v4.0 MBs and GPUs.
I currently have a i7-4790K paired with a 2060 Super and I'm thinking about upgrading soon. I've never used an AMD CPU, but it looks like there is more value to them than Intel's chips right now--at least on paper. Is it better to invest in a more expensive Intel chip, knowing that new motherboards are probably coming out reasonably soon, or switch to AMD and hope that it performs as well. I know some Ryzen's have more cores/threads, etc., but some reviews show that Intel CPUs still perform better. Will the Ryzen work well with my Nvidia GPU? Is one chip a better value in the long run?

For a mid-range setup and opportunities to continue upgrading, what's the smartest route to take?
There's nothing new "reasonably soon" coming from Intel. Make of CPU has nothing to do with compatibility with GPU make.

jon0111

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019
There's nothing new "reasonably soon" coming from Intel. Make of CPU has nothing to do with compatibility with GPU make.
I've read that Intel hasn't changed their motherboards in quite a while--therefore, I might have to replace one that I buy now reasonably soon. AMD's boards will pair with future chips for a longer period of time.
So, there's no advantage to pairing a Ryzen GPU with a Ryzen CPU, etc? That's just a marketing thing? I thought there were some compatibility issues now and then.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
There isn’t any advantage other than the rx5000 series GPUs are more stable and perform slightly better on amd systems due to the pci express 4.0 but that’s just those GPUs having issues

There is no "Ryzen GPU" except for GPUs integrated in APU processors. As far as, CPU/GPU compatibility is concerned, it's not even a marketing thing, just uneducated guesses. Exception is only what 86zx said. AMD is only one with PCIe v4.0 MBs and GPUs.

Solution

jon0111

Commendable
Mar 29, 2019

Got it. So the idea that the AMD/Ryzen combo is more cost effective is correct? No downsides?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Not even marketing - I have no idea where or how that rumor started, but it keeps popping up every so often.... there's absolutely NO problem in combining AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU, or an Intel CPU with an AMD GPU, etc.