New Generation of Intel processors go back to four cores and dual channel memory???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebarron

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I haven't seen any literature online addressing the newer 1150 chipset seems to only support dual channel memory? Excuse my crudeness, but just by viewing the most expensive and newer mother boards on newegg, that seems to be the new standard.

What are peoples opinions on this, versus buying the last generation 6 core processors to have the benefit of three channel memory?

Maybe this isnt that big of a performance hit as I thought, for gaming.

Thoughts?

Solution

Hi,

Intel maintains three sockets at a time.

First is the "Socket H" series designed for most desktops and workstations. There are currently 3 sockets with accompanying chipsets, LGA1156 (H1), LGA1155 (H2), and LGA1150 (H3). These sockets do not have QPI links (meaning...

bluebarron

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
I am assuming that Ivy Bridge/2011 chipset is more powerful and a superior option than Haswell/1150, given its 6 cores and higher cache.

So for building a gaming rig at this point in time, it would have longer legs to last the next couple years by going with the Ivy Bridge processor.

More specifically, I was pointing out that the newest intel lineup condemns us back down to 4 cores and dual channel memory, verus 6 cores ans three channel memory. But, honestly, I do not know how much of a different that actually makes when running a game. I am not seeing a reason to buy 1150 other than saving a little bit of money. It surprises me that the mobo companies are building flagship boards for these newer and less powerful processors.

But, maybe, I just have it all wrong?

Anyone else?

bluebarron

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Well, for games that are CPU intensive, I figured that setup is a worthwhile investment. Am I just stupid? Also, I figured they had more growing room. Any good thread on actual real world frame rate comparison?

leeb2013

Honorable
After a certain point there's diminishing returns for the money spent. Games will not max out a decent i5 for a while, so spending $1500+ on an lga2011 mobo and extreme i7 won't give and improvement over an i5 or normal i7 for 2-3 years or more. By the time they do, there will be another i5 version for $200 which runs on 5 watts, produces no heat and blows away the ancient extreme, which will be worthless by then.

As for memory, bandwidth is not a limitation so dual or triple channel makes no difference for gaming. Probably only for servers.

An investment is only worthwhile if it gives immediate returns, increases in value, or saves money in the long run.

bluebarron

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008

Also, I see plenty of good 2011 boards in the 250 range, whereas good, but newer, 1150 boards are 350... And in my opinion for no other reason than to support a less capable processor and have less channels of memory. They're just newer.

Honestly, the current gen of Intel processors seems like a step backwards to me. Or at least, not a step forwards.

Leeb,

What is the limiting factor with memory??

Alpha3031

Honorable

ASrock Z97 PRO3 is 100

Haswell-E is coming September and will be the same old 2011 with x40 PCI-E, Quad channel (DDR4 now) Hexa- and Octa- core we see in IB-E

Right now, the Haswell, Haswell Refresh and Devils Canyon SKUs are like the IB SKUs

e.g 3770K (IB) @ 4.5 GHz (O.C.) ~ 4770K (H) 4.3 GHz (O.C.) ~ 4790K (DC) (stock)

but 4960X (IB-E) ~ 5930K (H-E) coming september.

Memory isn't really a limiting factor these days.

Also, if you're not seeing progress, that's probably because intel has NO competition in this niche

Alpha3031

Honorable

That's what Upgrades are for :D

Hi,

Intel maintains three sockets at a time.

First is the "Socket H" series designed for most desktops and workstations. There are currently 3 sockets with accompanying chipsets, LGA1156 (H1), LGA1155 (H2), and LGA1150 (H3). These sockets do not have QPI links (meaning that they cannot be used in multi-socket system), have 16 PCIe 2.0/3.0 lanes, and supports two memory channels. None of them has ever been populated with more than 4 cores but I'm not certain if there's an actual technical limitation involved.

Second is the "Socket B" series designed for high end desktops and midrange servers. There are two socket in this series, LGA 1366 (B1), and LGA 1356 (B2).
LGA1366 is found in high-end desktops that used the first generation core-i7 900 series microprocessors. It has three memory channels and two QPI links which allow it to be used in very large scale servers.
LGA356 is found almost exclusively in compact two-way servers and blade servers. There are Sandybridge and Ivybridge microprocessors available on it. It has three memory channels, 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes, and only one QPI link so it can only be used in two-way platforms.

Third is "Socket R" which currently has only one socket, LGA2011. LGA2011 is found in high end desktops and high end servers. Each socket has four memory channels, two QPI links, and 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes. There are currently microprocessors available for Socket R which have up to 15 cores.
There is a planned revision to Socket R which will also have 2011 pins labelled LGA2011-3. It will be used for Haswell-E microprocessors and feature DDR4 support.

Solution

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
...some of he higher end Xeons support 6 memory channels while the Zen4 Threadrippers will support 8.

However just about everything from Coffee Lake on (both i series and Xeon only support 2 channels and one generation of i7 is straight threaded with no hyperthreading. a high number of memory channels may not mean much where gaming is concerned but in graphic production and CPU/RAM based rendering the more channels the better.

I am looking to finally upgrade from my old hardware to support W11 and find returning to 2 memory channels (pretty much every CPU on the compatibility list, save for some very expensive Xeons) from 3 seems a step backwards (one of those here who works in 3D graphic production and rendering).

Status
Not open for further replies.