new gfx card on an old mobo?

khalahesh

Reputable
Sep 1, 2017
My GPU died and im replacing it with a 1060.

GTX 580
Intel i5 2500k
ASRock z68 extreme 3 gen 3
8gb ram
Windows 7 x64

Its a pretty old system, and all i really know is that both are 3.0 ports, and should work.

Would i run into potential driver issues?

I also never had to replace a video card, im guessing i should uninstall my 580 drivers first, then install card, then install new drivers.

I know its probably a simple thing to do, but i always nuke the crap out of anything im not 100% sure of. I just want to be certain im not missing anything glaringly obvious.

Replacing gtx 580 3gb with EVGA 1060 6gb

Solution
PCIe is fully backwards compatible so that will not be an issue. PCIe 3.0 cards will run just fine in PCIe 2.0 boards (at reduced bandwidth).

You should use Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode and select "Clean and Shut-down". Then install the new card and boot. Just install the appropriate driver package after that and you should be good to go.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017
PCIe is fully backwards compatible so that will not be an issue. PCIe 3.0 cards will run just fine in PCIe 2.0 boards (at reduced bandwidth).

You should use Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode and select "Clean and Shut-down". Then install the new card and boot. Just install the appropriate driver package after that and you should be good to go.

Solution

khalahesh

Reputable
Sep 1, 2017

Thanks for the quick response, and great information. Just looking at benchmarks, it seems the new card is twice as fast (116%), but if i were to upgrade to a similarly priced CPU, i'd be looking at a 30% faster average benchmark.

I think im using ddr3 8gb and i know ddr4 is the 'thing' now. Im kindof a pc building nub, and only do my research when i build them, but is my system still fairly relevant after ~80months? Am i missing out on any new and exciting innovations?

Relevant to me specifically as a gamer, all i really know is ddr4 is out and GSync exists and seems interesting.

HamBown81

Commendable
Aug 3, 2017

I am running 16GB of 2133MHz DDR3 and have no issues with my set-up. If you are not looking to get into a new motherboard, CPU, etc. your best bet is upgrade your RAM.

That board supports up to 32GB at 2133MHz so you are selling yourself short ATM

TRENDING THREADS