Question new gigabyte gaming rtx 2080 coil whine

r8bss

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
I just got my gigabyte gaming oc rtx 2080 and noticed loud coil whine while in game menu (csgo/apex/fortnite) or while playing with higher fps.
As soon as I alt tab from the game noise disappears.
Is it fixable or should I send back my gpu as soon as possible(monday)?

Crossvxm

Commendable
Jun 10, 2016
I just got my gigabyte gaming oc rtx 2080 and noticed loud coil whine while in game menu (csgo/apex/fortnite) or while playing with higher fps.

There is no fix unfortunately. Most fix guides will tell you to "lock your FPS". This is a huge issue with Gigabyte and their cards. To be honest, my suggestion would be to return the card and choose another manufacturer if possible.

MetallicMonk

Respectable
Feb 16, 2019

It's due the the very high framerate in game menus. I've experienced it in 5 out of the 9 cards I've ever own. My current card has this problem.
From my experience and anecdotal evidence from various forums, it isn't an issue and doesn't represent a faulty card.

Lowering your overclock or locking frame rate both will help. But aren't necessary. If your card has a warranty and you can cope with the whine. Keep it.
If you can't handle the sound and it concerns you too much and/or you have a short or limited warranty and are worried by the sound, return it.