Question New (good) desktop - Chrome is crashing it - is something wrong?

Oct 17, 2020
Hi everybody,

So at Christmas I was lucky enough to get a new desktop, it's not the best in the world, but it's not half bad - I'd list all the specs here, but it would probably be easier and more informative if I just gave you the link to the exact computer -

https://www.chillblast.com/chillbla...om-gaming-pc.html#product-details-tab-tab1461

That's the one, and I haven't upgraded or changed anything on it.

Everything runs amazingly well, I can play every game I own at top settings and they're as smooth as can be. The problem is - when I have chrome up and running, and have more than a few tabs open (let's say, ten) - it is often slowing my computer down to a crawl.

It happens intermittently, but frequently. Chrome can be running perfect, and then suddenly it goes super slow or completely unresponsive, whilst the rest of my PC is working fine. At other times, when Chrome 'goes slow', it makes my whole PC go very slow, so much that sometimes it takes a minute or more for the task manager to pop up after ctrl+alt+delete.

90% of the time, Chrome, and my PC, return to normal after a minute of non-responsiveness. Until it happens again.

What I'm worried about is if this is indicative of a problem with my new computer, and what tests I could run to try and find out? On my old PC, I could have 50+ tabs open on Chrome without any issues whatsoever, so I am a little anxious.

The only 'problematic' thing with my setup, that I can think of, is that I have my main monitor running off the graphics card, whilst my side monitor is plugged into the motherboard (this has to be the case, until I can afford a new monitor) - but that shouldn't be causing any issues like this, should it?

I'm happy to give as much information as necessary, and any help would truly be massively appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Lutfij

Titan
• Chillblast 700W 80+ Bronze PSU
That does send a chill up my spine...seriously does.

Regardless, what OS version are you working with at the moment? You might want to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it after a reboot. I'd also try and make sure that the BIOS for the motherboard is updated. Then if the OS is pending updates, update that as well.

You can also switch to Microsoft's Edge browser or Firefox and see if the issue is averted.

Reactions: Forechosen
Oct 17, 2020
• Chillblast 700W 80+ Bronze PSU
That does send a chill up my spine...seriously does.

Regardless, what OS version are you working with at the moment? You might want to uninstall Chrome and reinstall it after a reboot. I'd also try and make sure that the BIOS for the motherboard is updated. Then if the OS is pending updates, update that as well.

You can also switch to Microsoft's Edge browser or Firefox and see if the issue is averted.

Oh, how come the PSU sounds dodgy? Honestly, my last computer was a Chillblast, and it served me amazingly well - that's the only reason we went Chillblast again this time.

And I'm on Windows 10 at the moment, and I do keep that up to date. I have tried to reinstall Chrome already, but the same thing is happening.

I will check the motherboard is up to date (not sure how, but I'm sure I can find out!)

Also that's a good idea trying to use Firefox or Edge, but I'd really just be doing it to test out the issue, I'd absolutely not want to switch to a different browser permanently.

edit: my BIOS Version/Date is - American Megatrends Inc. 0708, 23/07/2020 - I have no idea if that's up to date or not!

edit: I am genuinely curious why you said that about the PSU by the way, why does it give you the chills?

Last edited: