[SOLVED] New GPU Advice

May 27, 2020
Hi all

I would like some advice on buying a new graphics card for my PC, Nitro N50-600, i5-9400F CPU and 16gb of ram.

I do 99% of my gaming on my xbox X and use this PC for gaming on exclusive pc games, Total Warhammer 2 is the main game I play on my pc.

I was looking at the AMD Radeon™ RX 5700, it has good reviews and will do 1440p and 100 frames. It also gets Res 3 and Monster Hunter free with it ( which I will sell as I believe they email you the codes? )
I havent PC gamed for a loooong time so Im a little anxious over buying the right card as people are giving me conflicting information. Some say dont get an AMD card as my current one is Nvidia, some say the CPU will cause frame rate isses, some say its no issue at all!

larsv8

Distinguished
When buying a video card, in my opinion, you should start with your monitor, and ask yourself what is your goal, and what is your budget. IE how many FPS, at what resolution, and at what graphic setting

If you have a 1080p, 60hz monitor and don't plan upgrading, well you can get a pretty budget card and max out that monitor. You could spend quite a bit if trying to play at a high FPS on 4k

This might be helpful:
https://www.gpucheck.com/game/total-war-warhammer-ii/high

May 27, 2020
I will be aiming for 1440p 100 frames at best. Im not really interested in 4K on my Pc as the games I will be playing will be exclusively on pc and games I cant already get on my Xbox One X

larsv8

Distinguished
People keep saying there will be a big bottleneck with my PC and I should only get Nvidia cards as its intel?

Bottle necking isn't really a thing, atleast in the way you are thinking about it. You can mix and match AMD / Intel processors with AMD / NVIDIA GPUs any which way, without problem.

Your monitor can bottle neck your performance, by only being able display a max FPS. What specific monitor are you using?

Alot of people pick GPU brands based on whether their monitor has GYSNC (NVIDIA) or Freesync (AMD).

AMD definitely has driver issues, which is a valid complaint. A 2060 Super or 2070 Super would work fine as well.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello there i have been a nvida and amd user. Currently im a amd user. For amd gpus, yes there are drivers issue but if you're willing to spend time to see which drivers are the best then amd gpus are better for me. Now im running the rx 580. Honestly when i got it, i just downloaded the latest driver and it ran fine for me. Amd gpus also age better. Rx 580 was performing lesser than gtx 1060 when they both launched. Now, rx 580 is still capable of running 1080p high to ultra or med to high in some games while the gtx 1060 has fallen behind. Now we'll be looking at monitor first. A gsync monitor is generally more expensive than freesync monitor. In your case i would get the rx 5700xt or even rx 5600xt. The rx 5600xt was targeted for 1080p but it does really well in 1440p as well. According to gpucheck.com rx 5600xt averages about 80.8 FPS in 1440p while rx 5700xt averages about 93.3 FPS. If money isnt an issue, then get the 5700xt.