Question New GPU and computer wont boot - need help!

Mocs123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
My son has my old computer build and he wanted a new video card so I bought a Geforce 1650 Super but when I tried to install it I can't get the computer to boot. It shows a blank screen with B2 in the bottom right corner. When I put the old AMD 6770 back in, it works fine. I thought it was a bad card so I exchanged it for another one but this one does the exact same thing which tells me it's probably something I'm doing wrong. I used to swap out video cards years ago without issue.....any ideas?

I uninstalled the AMD drivers before I tried the card swap.

It's a MSI -P67A-GD53 Mobo with an i5 2500K, 8g Ram and a 430w Corsair PSU (card only requires 350) running Windows 10. The monitor is connected via DVI (the monitor only has DVI and VGA). I know it's an old build, but there isn't any reason why this shouldn't work that I am aware of.

Thank you for your help!

B2 is a VGA issue. So it's telling you that there is something with the graphic card. Now. It's not always a problem with the GPU itself.

Two things comes to mind.

- Your Motherboard BIOS version is too old and needs to be updated to the most recent BIOS update for that PCIe compatibility issue to be solved.

- Your PSU is probably a cheap 430 Watts PSU. Your 1650 Super recommend a GOOD quality PSU of 400-450 Watts.

There is a good chance that updating your BIOS will fix the issue. If it doesn't replace the PSU.

Mocs123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
I'll see if I can figure out how to upgrade the BIOS tomorrow. The PSU is a Corsair, so I guess that doesn't guarantee it isn't junk but I thought their PSU's were well thought of.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Mocs123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
It's an entry level Corsair - the CX-430. It wasn't one of the models made by Seasonic, but it did get good reviews back when I purchased it. His old card, the AMD 6770 had a 108 watt power draw, and the new card is supposed to be 100 watt - In fact that was one of the draws of this card over slightly cheaper AMD models such as the 270 they used more power.

It makes since that it's the BIOS given how old the system is. I'll see if I can update it - I've never updated BIOS before so hopefully I don't brick the board.

I just tried a BIOS update and..........I can't get it to boot. My guess is I just bricked the Mobo so I guess I need to build a new PC. :(

Turn off PC. Turn off the PSU and unplug the PSU. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds. Plug everything back and power on. If that doesn't work clear the cmos by removing the battery after shutting down the PC and unplugging the PSU. Leave it removed for 5 minutes and put it back and plug the system back and turn it on.

Can you please tell me what steps you took to update your BIOS. Updating a BIOS isn't supposed to brick your system if you used the good BIOS version and you read the instruction. While you were updating if the power did not go out and the flashing was completed it should work. I updated a few hundred systems BIOS and I can count on my fingers the one I had issues with.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/P67AGD53_B3

You followed the instructions?

*Please download and execute the file in USB pen drive only.
System will restart several times to update ME firmware after updated system BIOS. Please DO NOT remove the USB pen drive until ME update sucessfully.
*Please make sure you have read the SOP before you update the BIOS.
SOP Download: BIOS & ME update SOP

Last edited:

Mocs123

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Thank you for your help. I tried both holding the power button down and pulling the CMOS battery out for 5 min (unplugged) to no avail. I can't get it to output anything to the monitor or any keyboard lights to come on. I've tried a computer monitor via DVI and a small TV via HDMI with no output, and I also tried two keyboards, one USB and one PS2 with no luck.

Here's what I did - I downloaded the file from MSI to a thumb drive, went in and validated what version of BIOS was on the machine (v1.9 vs. 4.3) and went to MBIOS and tried to flash, and selected the thumb drive, but it said no bios file found (I have no idea why). When I exited and booted the machine, I opened the file and it asked if I wanted to update BIOS and I clicked Continue. I probably screwed up by doing that from Windows and not from BIOS.

Is it bricked?

TRENDING THREADS