Question New GPU and issues with sleep

Oct 18, 2022
Hi,

I've borrowed a 3090 Gigabyte from a friend, and been having issues with it when I put my PC to sleep. I've a 2080 super, and never had an issue with sleep, and even if I replace the cards right now and don't change anything, it'll work with no problems.
The funny thing is: with the 3090, if I set the PC into sleep mode the first time it works as expected, the PC wakes up just fine. But if I put it in sleep mode again, it'll crash. Sometimes I get no video at all, and sometimes the PC reboots.
There are no events in the event viewer.
Been using the PC for a day now and found no issues while running the 3090, and gaming with it. The issue is with the sleep.

Tried a couple things I've found, but no luck:
  • Disabling "hybrid sleep" (works enabled with the 2080s)
  • Disabling "Turn on fast startup" (works enabled with the 2080s)
  • Disabling "Global C-state Control" (both works with the 2080s)
  • Tested in both Win10 and Win11 (both works with the 2080s)
  • Tested with Nvidia drivers: 522.25 and 517.48 (both works with the 2080s)

Motherboard: MSI Meg x570 Ace
BIOS Ver: E7C35AMS.1I2
Working card: MSI 2080 Super
Faulty card: Gigabyte 3090 Gaming OC
Running it on PCIE Gen3, Chipset Gen3 too (x8+x8) lanes.

Next steps: Update BIOS to latest version, maybe installing an old driver version (from february maybe)

Thanks in advance !

Before changing GPUs, Did you uninstalled the RTX 2080 Super drivers?

You may get by with not doing it, but considering you are having issues with sleeping, I would start there.
In fact you should uninstall all drivers using DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html). Then install the new GPU, download and install the newest RTX 3090 drivers from nvidia website.

Reactions: caiuxo
Oct 18, 2022
Hey, thanks for the input guys

Hey there,

WHat PSU are you running in the system? Running a 2080 super is not the same as running a 3090 in terms of power requirements.

Yes, agree. It's the same PSU. It's an EVGA 750W. I've tested it running at full load and seems to be handling it.

Before changing GPUs, Did you uninstalled the RTX 2080 Super drivers?

You may get by with not doing it, but considering you are having issues with sleeping, I would start there.
In fact you should uninstall all drivers using DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html). Then install the new GPU, download and install the newest RTX 3090 drivers from nvidia website.

Actually I tried with the 2080S drivers, than with the 3090S drivers, swapping them around. Didn't seem to make a difference.

But actually I've found out the root cause, and a workaround. But I don't understand yet why that happens.

Lets start with the workaround. My motherboard has 5 PCIe slots, in which 2 of them are x1, 1 is x8, 1 is x4, and the first one is x16.
I've been trying with the first PCIe1 slot, at x16, and this is the one presenting the issues. So I plugged the card into the third slot PCIe3 (x8) and is working fine. I can set the PC into sleep mode and it wakes up just as expected.

The issue:
Like I mentioned before, I'm running the card at PCIe Gen 3, so I had to manually change a couple of settings. And one of those setting is called: PCI_E1 Lanes Configuration. It has the following options:
JIBwm7r.jpg

When running the 2080S, I can set it to Auto and it works as expected.
If I set it to x8+x8, the second time it wakes up from sleep mode it'll crash.
If I set it to x8+x4+x4 it'll crash the first time it wakes up from sleep mode.

If I swap it to the 3090, the auto setting does not work. The card lost video after a couple seconds. I can see it booting, but right before it get to Windows, it blacks out.
If I set it to x8+x8 or x8+x4+x4 I get the same results as the 2080S.

Why I haven't had this issue before:
Because I was running everything on Auto mode, including the PCI Lanes Config as well as the chipset gen, and PCIs gen.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version. So, right now I'm not sure if it is a bug in the motherboard firmware, or if I'm missing something in the configs.

Thanks !

EVGA 750W

Which exact model? This is key! Anything less than a a fully gold unit is essential. @RodroX is bang on the money. As is the 750w is way short. It's very likely you are starving the card of enough juice, whilst simultaneously putting tremendous stress on the PSU.

You should be looking at a RMX 850 as a min. I'd be happier with the 1000w version. If you don't OC anything the 850w will do.

Last edited:
Reactions: caiuxo
Oct 18, 2022
The RTX 3090 should be installed on the top PCIE slot and you should be able to set it to PCIE 4, both the GPU and your motherboard support PCIE 4.0...

Unless you are using a CPU that does not support PCIE 4.0 ? Like the R5/R7 5600G/5700G (or similar ones)?

Also I would not run a RTX 3090 with a 750 watts PSU!!!
Hey ! Agree, it should be. But for some reason this 3090 is not working with PCIE 4. Not sure what's up with that, but I remember my friend mentioned that, and I tried with PCIE 4 and got no video from it. Guess something is up with that..
CPU is R9 5900X FYI

Which exact model? This is key! Anything less than a a fully gold unit is essential. @RodroX is bang on the money. As is the 750w is way short. It's very likely you are starving the card of enough juice, whilst simultaneously putting tremendous stress on the PSU.

You should be looking at a RMX 850 as a min. I'd be happier with the 1000w version. If you don't OC anything the 850w will do.

Hey ! That make sense, bought this a while ago to run the 2080S, I think it barely reaches the 500W at full load (using the 2080S), but I can't be sure of that right now, will need to do some testing to confirm.
I think it's this one: EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular

I would definitely get a better PSU if I keep the card. I'll do some testing later on at full load to check how many watts the whole system is pulling.
But I'm wondering how this would affect the sleep scenario.. The system is not on full load when it wakes up, why would the PSU matter ? Maybe a spike when it wakes up ? Doesn't seem likely I guess

Did you clear CMOS after bios update? If not, do that.

I did not. Didn't think of that to be honest. Although I lost all the configs I had, and had to redo them all after the update :(

EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular

i had it's little brother a few years back. The 650w. Was stellar for my 1600x build. But not really suitable for a 3090.

But I'm wondering how this would affect the sleep scenario.. The system is not on full load when it wakes up, why would the PSU matter ? Maybe a spike when it wakes up ? Doesn't seem likely I guess

So, here's the thing about RTX (particularly) but also 2xxx series and the newer gen AMD GPU's. They have these power spikes. They're called transient power spikes. They can go insanely high, and sometimes trip overprotections which can cause restarts. Whilst this power spike is only for a split second (literally 20ms) the spikes can cause real issues. Sometimes the spikes alone can hit 650w!! Crazy, right! If the PSU is underpowered, and although it's not causing these kind of crashes, it's possible the PSU is just not providing the system with enough power to function as expected.

I did not. Didn't think of that to be honest. Although I lost all the configs I had, and had to redo them all after the update :(

Yes, this is important, and can be one of the big reasons why GPU's don't work as intended. Although the bios is mostly microcode for the CPU, it also brings ram compatibility, GPU bug fixes. Clearing CMOS after doing it may solve it. Let us know.

Edit: Also, just try the Windows Ultimate power plan! Just to see if it changes anything.

To do this, open powershell, and type the following:
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Then select the power plan. See if anything changes. Ideally you want to be running the Ryzen balanced plan as this will ensure your CPU works as intended.

Last edited:
Reactions: caiuxo and RodroX
Oct 18, 2022
i had it's little brother a few years back. The 650w. Was stellar for my 1600x build. But not really suitable for a 3090.

So, here's the thing about RTX (particularly) but also 2xxx series and the newer gen AMD GPU's. They have these power spikes. They're called transient power spikes. They can go insanely high, and sometimes trip overprotections which can cause restarts. Whilst this power spike is only for a split second (literally 20ms) the spikes can cause real issues. Sometimes the spikes alone can hit 650w!! Crazy, right! If the PSU is underpowered, and although it's not causing these kind of crashes, it's possible the PSU is just not providing the system with enough power to function as expected.

Yes, this is important, and can be one of the big reasons why GPU's don't work as intended. Although the bios is mostly microcode for the CPU, it also brings ram compatibility, GPU bug fixes. Clearing CMOS after doing it may solve it. Let us know.

Edit: Also, just try the Windows Ultimate power plan! Just to see if it changes anything.

To do this, open powershell, and type the following:
powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

Then select the power plan. See if anything changes. Ideally you want to be running the Ryzen balanced plan as this will ensure your CPU works as intended.

Thanks for the input, yea, I'll do some testing first to check the wattage it's pulling before getting a new PSU. As I mentioned, not sure how long I'll keep the 3090, so I don't waste money right now getting a new PSU that won't be used in the near future.

No doubt about the power spikes, these new devices are a real power hungry lol

The power options was set to high performance, will change that to balanced.

As of clearing the CMOS, will do that later today and try to re set the card to the PCIe1 slot.

Thanks !

Thanks for the input, yea, I'll do some testing first to check the wattage it's pulling before getting a new PSU. As I mentioned, not sure how long I'll keep the 3090, so I don't waste money right now getting a new PSU that won't be used in the near future.

No doubt about the power spikes, these new devices are a real power hungry lol

The power options was set to high performance, will change that to balanced.

As of clearing the CMOS, will do that later today and try to re set the card to the PCIe1 slot.

Thanks !
Great! Let us know how that goes. Good luck :)