Nov 27, 2021
Please help! After installing my new GPU (RX 6600), I am getting a black screen on power up. Fans and lights power on but I see no boot menu or bios

I have tried the following and none worked. removing old drivers using amd driver removal tool in normal mode and uninstalling amd display driver through device manager . Resetting the bios by removing the cmos battery (did not power on pc with battery removed). Also tried getting a power adapter for my psu that has two 8pin (6+2) pcie connectors. Dual 6 Pin Female to 8 Pin Male power adapter and that did the same as only having one 6+2 pin plugged in from psu, black screen.

Something I have not tried is updating the bios but on msi website the last download was 2015. My old gpu works fine when used after the new one.

Could my parts not be comparable with this new card? will I need a new power supply or other parts? Could my card be defective? (I do not have access to another desktop) I appreciate any help given.

Current specs.
AMD FX-8370 CPU
DDR3 1600 16GB RAM
EVGA 600B Power supply
MSI 990FXA AM3+ Motherboard
(Old) XFX R9 380X 4GB
(New) XFX RX 6600 8GB

Nov 27, 2021
You say your computer doesnt even show POST? I would say you need a new PSU. It says RX 6600 needs a minimum 650W power supply, 750 recommended. And yours is only 600W.

Nov 27, 2021
use DDU in safemode, first step. if that doesn't work do a bios update.
I used DDU in safe mode and was able to boot into windows fine and install my drivers. My power supply is enough to run under load however I don't think I should over clock. Thank you so much for the help, I thought something was wrong but I was simply doing software incorrectly. 😁👍 (display port did not work before uninstlaling drivers. After properly uninstlaling with ddu, the Hdmi port worked first then after installing drivers the display port worked)

Last edited: