[SOLVED] New GPU breaks old GPU?

Nov 2, 2018
First time upgrading PC that I bought from a friend. I got a new GPU (Radeon rx580) to replace my old one (gtx 570). When I put in the new GPU I noticed it needed 8 pins instead of the two 6s that my other GPU had. No big deal just order an adapter for a 2 6pin to 1 8pin. I put the new GPU in today after turning off and unplugging everything. Attached the adapter to the power cords from my supply (OCZ mod-x-stream pro 700 watt) and when I plugged everything in the GPU did t power on and I got no output. No problem I'll just plug in my old GPU and look for an answer online. Little did I know there was a problem. When I plugged my old GPU back in the fans were spinning but I was getting no output. I re did all of the wiring and plugged everything in and still nothing. Checked my ram sticks just to make sure. Im also getting no display from the motherboard but it has always been like that

Solution
Well, there's really no governing authority on what a company can call a power supply. Your's says 700W but it can't really support a system requiring 700W. It failed [H]ardOCP's review when they tested 700W.

Which was no surprise because we can see form the amount of Amps (A) on the +12V rails that it isn't spec'd to support 700W output to 12V. They add up the smaller rails (3.3v and 5V) to get 700W and that's very misleading because major components do not use 3.3V or 5V.

Your PSU has 2x +12V rails with 25A on each. That's only 600W.

Good quality power supplies will have enough Amps on the +12V rail(s) to support what it says.

There are of course many other factors, but this is one of the obvious ones I can see without...
Your power supply has 1x 8-pin and 1x 6-pin connectors. All you had to do was plug in 1x 8-pin in to the AMD GPU and it should have worked. Now, your power supply is not exact great quality. I would replace it first thing. What exactly did you plug in to the adapter? Btw, good advice is to never use an adapter for your GPU.

Nov 2, 2018
http://imgur.com/gallery/NWcN7NP. There is a link to what I put into the adapter. I am mainly worried about why my older GPU won't work after putting everything back in. I am also waiting for an 8 pin to 8 pin to come in the mail.

The specs for your PSU says it comes with the following PCIe modular cables, 1 x 6 pin and 1 x 6+2 pin cables. That should mean one of your 6 pin cables should have an extra 2 pin connector, which is really an 8 pin when used with the 6 pin.

Your photo doesn't really show what you've connected the adapter to, all I see is 3 wires (yellow, brown and black), which are not the 6 pin cables.

Ohhh... you hooked up 2x molex and 2x molex. Seriously. Buy a new power supply if you don't have the proper cables.

Well, there's really no governing authority on what a company can call a power supply. Your's says 700W but it can't really support a system requiring 700W. It failed [H]ardOCP's review when they tested 700W.

Which was no surprise because we can see form the amount of Amps (A) on the +12V rails that it isn't spec'd to support 700W output to 12V. They add up the smaller rails (3.3v and 5V) to get 700W and that's very misleading because major components do not use 3.3V or 5V.

Your PSU has 2x +12V rails with 25A on each. That's only 600W.

Good quality power supplies will have enough Amps on the +12V rail(s) to support what it says.

There are of course many other factors, but this is one of the obvious ones I can see without actually reading any reviews. The EVGA 550W G3 is considerably better at handling higher loads due to better quality internal components it runs at lower temps with better efficiency.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/4
1224029445btqxfCHCHg_4_1.gif

Solution

TRENDING THREADS