[SOLVED] New GPU, brief blue screen at startup.

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
I just upgraded from a gtx970 to an rtx2070 super. I forgot to buy a displayport cable so I'm using hdmi at the moment. I'll be buying a displayport cable this morning though.

I've noticed in game things seem a touch "soft". Not sure if that's due to the hdmi limiting me to 60hz when I'm used to 144hz? Also this morning when I turned on the pc it sounded like it kinda revved up then died down a bit before revving back up again. I got a blue screen for maybe 3 seconds and then the usual mobo brand screen and everything went normally.

I didn't DDU because I went from nvidia to nvidia but I did download and install the latest driver for the new card and chose "clean install".

System specs:
-Windows 10 64bit
-EVGA 650 watt 80+ gold
-Aorus elite x570
-ryzen 5 3600
-GIGABYTE RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC
-2x8gb 3200mhz team dark pro
-caviar blue 1TB + samsung evo 860 250gb

Main concerns are the blue screen (only happened once so far) and that "soft" look which may be attributed to the hdmi 60hz limitation?

Edit: I restarted just now and it did the same thing, slight slow down, actually heard an audible click? Then a blue screen for a second and it started up normally.

Solution
I got my new DisplayPort cable today and switched out the HDMI. Upon restarting PC, no blue screen. Need to test a bit more but seems the HDMI cable was the culprit. Odd because it's a quality cable and works perfectly with my TV.

whoopdeedoo

Honorable
Jul 3, 2015
I got my new DisplayPort cable today and switched out the HDMI. Upon restarting PC, no blue screen. Need to test a bit more but seems the HDMI cable was the culprit. Odd because it's a quality cable and works perfectly with my TV.

Solution