[SOLVED] New GPU can't handle Far Cry New Dawn (But my old GPU can)

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
I bought a new GPU (Asrock PG RX580 8gb) to change my old one (Gigabyte RX570 4gb) and I am currently using a display port on a 144hz monitor, while playing it the game freezes and just restarts the system. Any help with this?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asrock B450m Steel Legend
Tforce Delta (8x2) 3200 Mhz DDR4 Ram
Seasonic M12 850w Bronze PSU

Solution
The drivers that are on the disc, supposedly are the ones that work as intended with the product. Generally they are outdated and such product should not have to be used with old drivers in order to work properly.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Have you tried updating your GPU drivers? Sometimes this can cause games to run poorly.
Thanks for replying! Yes, I've reinstalled new drivers on the GPU, and while trying games (NFS Heat, Rainbow Six Siege) there are small frame skips to it, I don't know why, and I am worried if I tried playing again I might break the GPU and I've been playing them on the same settings as my old GPU, sadly I had to replace it because my RX570 died yesterday.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hmmm. Quite honestly I'm not 100% knowledgeable when it comes to computers so someone may be able to give you better advice than I can, but just a few things I can try to help with. Is your GPU put in the top PCIE slot of your motherboard?

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Hmmm. Quite honestly I'm not 100% knowledgeable when it comes to computers so someone may be able to give you better advice than I can, but just a few things I can try to help with. Is your GPU put in the top PCIE slot of your motherboard?
It's fine! Yep. It is attached to the PCIE slot of the motherboard, haven't tried the bottom PCIE slot yet.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
I would highly advice against doing that considering you will lose performance by putting it in the bottom PCIE slot. Were you running an overclock on your old GPU?
I haven't, but does the slots matter and the power they draw? my old gpu has 8 pin connector port, while the newer GPU only has a 6 pin connector

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Quite honestly my best guest currently is that your old card was probably factory overclocked or just overclocked in general with the Radeon software. Try going in and setting an automatic overclock and see if that helps. If not I’ll be back on tomorrow to see if I can help and hopefully someone a little more knowledgeable than me can help you better. Have a good day or night! Not as far as I’m aware the reason you put it in the first slot is because it has more bandwidth than any other and the power connector shouldn’t matter, it’s probably just a less power hungry card than your other one.

Reactions: Weabman
I would highly advice against doing that considering you will lose performance by putting it in the bottom PCIE slot. Were you running an overclock on your old GPU?
For those GPUs and with that motherboard, using the second slot will not impact performance.

I haven't, but does the slots matter and the power they draw? my old gpu has 8 pin connector port, while the newer GPU only has a 6 pin connector
The power draw is the biggest thing here. Are you sure your new gpu has only a 6pin? What is the exact model?

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hopefully dotas1 can help you out a lot better than I can considering he seems to know a lot more than I do already. Sorry that I personally wasn’t able to help!

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
For those GPUs and with that motherboard, using the second slot will not impact performance.

The power draw is the biggest thing here. Are you sure your new gpu has only a 6pin? What is the exact model?
Sorry for the late reply, It is an Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX580 8G OC
I see, right now I am having problems again, I reinstalled a new OS and I downloaded Metro 2033 redux, and suddenly the screen went black and restarts my PC. I don't know if it is the 144hz display causing it problems. I am currently using a Display Port. Now, I tried going back to 60mhz and i got through the game, maybe it can't handle 144hz?

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
You might have a faulty cable, try with another preferably 1.4 version but it shouldn't restart the system.

How old is your PSU? M12 is a bit aged right now so it might have degraded.

Check your CPU and GPU temps idle and while gaming with HWInfo64
I just bought the PSU last year, and my CPU Temp is 45° and the new GPU is 44° when idle and when I play my GPU goes 70° also i recently got a BSOD while playing Metro 2033 Redux at 60mhz about "Thread Stuck in Device Driver" should I switch back to my stock cooler? since I am using an AIO right now

That BSOD is usually driver related. I would have suggested previously using DDU but the windows reinstallation made it unnecessary.
Btw, did you do a full clean install using a usb or just a restore?
Do you have the latest windows updates, BIOS and chipset drivers?
I don't think AIO is the issue here so I don't recommend you change it.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
That BSOD is usually driver related. I would have suggested previously using DDU but the windows reinstallation made it unnecessary.
Btw, did you do a full clean install using a usb or just a restore?
Do you have the latest windows updates, BIOS and chipset drivers?
I don't think AIO is the issue here so I don't recommend you change it.
Just a restore since there are certain games that are unplayable and I really need to reset it since I have tons of crap that needed to be cleared (I only did the restore and delete everything after backing up some personal files) and I've updated the BIOS but I haven't done the update on the chipset after restoring w10

Update: I've already updated my chipset drivers, should I try running the game again?

Last edited:
Ok, restore will not help in this case. Use DDU.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Ok, restore will not help in this case. Use DDU.
After updating the chipset, I don't get any BSOD anymore but the game freezes and just restarts the PC, I'll try using the DDU now, if it still persist I'll replace the product since I still have 6 days to replace it

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I bought a new GPU (Asrock PG RX580 8gb) to change my old one (Gigabyte RX570 4gb) and I am currently using a display port on a 144hz monitor, while playing it the game freezes and just restarts the system. Any help with this?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asrock B450m Steel Legend
Tforce Delta (8x2) 3200 Mhz DDR4 Ram
Seasonic M12 850w Bronze PSU

did you remove old drivers before doing new ones?

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
did you remove old drivers before doing new ones?
By old drivers you mean the ones that automatically install once you put the GPU in? I thought it's automatically removed when downloading a new GPU driver.

EDIT: Done with DDU and reinstalled the new drivers, will test it out now, also the chipset was removed too when using DDU in safe mode, should I reinstall it?

Update: Still froze and restarted my game. It's really confusing, I've used DDU already and made a clean and restart for it. everything is uplayable (Valorant, League of Legends) it just froze after playing for 3-5 minutes then resets the whole PC. I am confused. It's not having problems while using the desktop or watching videos, just playing games.

Last edited:

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
It managed to play League of Legends, I don't get any freezes or anything and I've played a couple rounds of it, but games like Valorant, Apex Legends, Metro 2033 Redux gives me the freezing screen then restarts the PC

By old drivers you mean the ones that automatically install once you put the GPU in? I thought it's automatically removed when downloading a new GPU driver.

EDIT: Done with DDU and reinstalled the new drivers, will test it out now, also the chipset was removed too when using DDU in safe mode, should I reinstall it?

Update: Still froze and restarted my game. It's really confusing, I've used DDU already and made a clean and restart for it. everything is uplayable (Valorant, League of Legends) it just froze after playing for 3-5 minutes then resets the whole PC. I am confused. It's not having problems while using the desktop or watching videos, just playing games.
DDU does not remove chipset drivers.
You might have a faulty card there but now that I'm thinking about it, we haven't talked about the 570 dying. How did it die and how do you know it's completely dead?

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
DDU does not remove chipset drivers.
You might have a faulty card there but now that I'm thinking about it, we haven't talked about the 570 dying. How did it die and how do you know it's completely dead?
I bought my RX570 2nd hand for a cheap price last November 2019, I changed the thermal paste before using and I've been using it since Wednesday last week, it is showing some faulty signs like the fans spins so fast before booting but I can play games for 6 hours, then came the AIO cooler and after changing to it and putting back my PC, the GPU just won't work anymore, the fans stops spinning, it spins a little when turning off the PC or resetting it, since I don't have integrated graphics I needed to change my GPU asap, and then I bought this one from a computer part store near my house. I've already discussed it to them and they'll be in touch on Monday, i'll be switching over to an xt 5500 GPU