[SOLVED] New GPU can't handle Far Cry New Dawn (But my old GPU can)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
I bought a new GPU (Asrock PG RX580 8gb) to change my old one (Gigabyte RX570 4gb) and I am currently using a display port on a 144hz monitor, while playing it the game freezes and just restarts the system. Any help with this?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asrock B450m Steel Legend
Tforce Delta (8x2) 3200 Mhz DDR4 Ram
Seasonic M12 850w Bronze PSU

Solution
The drivers that are on the disc, supposedly are the ones that work as intended with the product. Generally they are outdated and such product should not have to be used with old drivers in order to work properly.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
I haven't tried underclocking it, but checking it with MSI Afterburner with RTSS on Apex Legends before it crashes, my statistics is at GPU temp 70° while my CPU temp is at 63° probably a faulty GPU

Things that i did:
-I've updated the GPU drivers after using DDU (Clean & Restart) also (Clean & Shut Down when the issue persisted after doing the first option and removed the GPU and reapplied it.)
-Updated the BIOS
-Updated the AMD Chipsets

despite all that, (Apex Legends, VALORANT, Metro 2033, Far Cry New Dawn) is unplayable. while (League of Legends, Genshin Impact) is playable. (I played a couple games of League and I haven't received any crash regarding "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVERS"

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Alright, thanks for letting me know. I'll just proceed with the GPU replacement, I've tested playing Apex Legends again, before it crashed the GPU temp was at 77° while the CPU is at 59° but i still don't know why it crashes on some games and then suddenly work on other games.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
I hope i still get a response from this, okay. So i tried doing Furmark and Heaven Benchmark, the GPU temp stays at 80 after 30 minutes on Furmark, and the GPU gave the same error on the Heaven Benchmark (THREAD_STUCK_ON_DEVICE_DRIVER) I do hope the replacement GPU won't cause the same issue and I've already used DDU in preparation.

I was able to play Rainbow Six Siege and Need For Speed heat but for some reason I am getting this scenario where while moving, the gameplay will go fast forward a little and return to its normal speed i think it's called frameskipping? And i still don't get it why I can play normally in non-heavy graphic games such as League/Left 4 Dead 2. Also, sometimes when using the Heaven Benchmark my monitor would go black and say "no signal" and it'll only work when rebooting the PC, same thing happened while trying to play Far Cry New Dawn.

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot before returning the GPU? Sorry for my english too.

Weabman

Reputable
Apr 15, 2019
Last ditch effort is a clean format. If it still the same. Well its probably the GPU
Thanks for the reply, I made a clean format twice sadly, also an update: they've delivered the replacement product of the GPU (Still the same brand and model) and strictly instructed me to install the drivers that *is on the disc that comes with it and after doing it, should I update it to the latest drivers now?

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That should be the case but has been known both gpu sides tend to improve and stuff things up from time to time with it's drivers. Then there's user interaction and game devs on top of that. It's an on going merry-go-round. It's usually a good ride though most times.

Reactions: Weabman