New gpu can't max out skyrim on 1440x900 help :(

Denis Stoikovski

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
With 770 msi twin frozr i can't max out this game why? i get on ultra no aa 58 fps drops to 40 i want to swear so much right now..... Im always screwing myself or i don't have luck :fou: but still even freaking gtx 260 should max out this old c**p on 1080p and i can't max out it on 1440x900 come on why? rest of the system i5 3350p 8 ram 1600mhz ... please help should i return the gpu? Even in ac4 i get drops to 30 on high same res

Solution

1st thigns 1st, have you checked to makes sure all your drivers are fully up to date, and the game has all the latest patches installed... the amount of times people come up with problems and they are running drivers over a year old...

Also I dug up some benchmarks for Skyrim at ultra settings, and it appears to suffer from low minimums in the reviews I've seen. 40fps minimum maxed out is actually pretty good for that game (it's got a pretty poor engine).

If you want to check you're machine is running correctly, download the free 3-D mark Firestrike demo and report you're score here. That will give a figure we can compare to other similar systems, if its within a few % of the average for you're configuration then you can be fairly sure there's nothing wrong.

Denis Stoikovski

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

I installed the lates nvidia driver yesterday

Ah ok, I just updated my first post, I think the problem might be the game not you're system. Try running FireStrike and see how that performs...

Denis Stoikovski

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Can that be cause my low cpu? i5 3350p i have textures loaded distance to max

Skyrim is quite CPU bound as its very reliant on single thread performance. That said, the 3350p isn't a bad cpu (the new haswell i5 is probably 10% quicker clock for clock). You can get faster i5 chips though, if you could pick up a compatible i5 'k' variant that would be good as then you could overclock for maximum single thread performance.

As I said I think you're issue is with Skyrims rather poorly threaded engine, and I would have thought 40fps minimum would be perfectly playable for a rpg like that as the action isn't as 'twitchy' as something like a fast paced shooter?

Solution

Denis Stoikovski

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

it fixed itself now its like 80-90-140 but i didn't play long enough and i was in towns not jungles and places with big visibilite

Yeah in big areas with lots of things going on, that's where the cpu tends to get overloaded. Do you have a second screen you could hook up? If yes- open skyrim on one screen, then open up the windows task manager on the other and switch it to the performance tab. As you're playing the game you can see the cpu and memory usage in real time. If the cpu is the bottle neck you'll probably see it hit a ceiling at which point your fps will start to drop (the maximum usage will be determined by how many threads skyrim uses, on a quad core if it's single thread it will max out at 25%, 50% if 2 threads etc).

Denis Stoikovski

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

40% and 2.51 ram 40 is to much i think before wit my gt 640 it was 20%

Hmm, 40% is basically running hard on a couple of cores, so yeah not much headroom left. And a GTX 770 is a *huge* step up from a GT 640 :)

Unfortunately Skyrim isn't really the best game to use all that extra power though.