Question New GPU causes lower NVMe temp????

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
This isn't a bad thing, I just try to understand how things work. I recently replaced my gpu. I have been playing with 3 gpus that crashed a lot (two RX 590s, one RX 580) and two that did not crash at all (R9-380 and 1660 TI). So five gpus counting them all. Of these, the 1660 TI has an unexpected side effect: the installed NVMe with the OS, instead of running about ten degrees hotter than the other NVMe on the mobo, is now running only about two to four degrees warmer.

Cooler is better so this isn't a complaint. I'm just trying to figure out what gives. (current, low, high):

40-31-45 for NVMe with OS
40-30-40 for NVMe for data storage

GPU is 37-30-40
CPU is 34-30-47

I guess I'll run unigine superposition and see how much it heats up, but actually these are the characteristic temperatures at which I do 90% of my PC work. Seems to be a "cool" build, but has gotten cooler with the 1660 TI inside. Not to mention it stopped crashing (knock on wood). The fan on the Seasonic runs, well, never as far as I can see, though it does a symbolic whirl on start up. The GPU fans show zero revolutions and this PC has been on all day (it marks current low, high values for the session).

I'll run unigine superposition (1080p EXTREME) and report back. Anyhow my guess is that the NVMe with OS is running cooler because it is above the GPU (this is an ASUS x470 pro). This is kind of a nice development, the NVMe with OS used to run at about 45 to 55 in regular use (it's the exact same one), always at least ten degrees hotter than the storage NVMe. I identified that as a long term weakness of the system (heat being the enemy of electronics) but now maybe not so much.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well so after running unigine superposition (current-low-high)

cpu 39-30-51
NVMe 44-31-45 (has OS)
NVMe 41-30-42 (no OS)
GPU 47-30-64 (!)
fan speed gpu (0 - 0 - 1441)

So it looks to me that the NVMe with OS is running about ten degrees cooler than with the Radeon cards, the cpu is running about ten degrees cooler ( used to always hit 60 to 61), the GPU used to run into 70 to 74. And I report the fan speed just to show that it noticed the system was being used and turned on.

So the whole build is running cooler which is somewhat surprising. I guess that's something to consider in terms of trying to build a system with durability.

Greg N