Question New GPU causing PC to randomly freeze?

Distanzes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
My old 5 year gpu recently died and so I decided to get a new gpu (RX 580) without upgrading my other parts. Everything works fine, however sometimes when i'm playing a game my PC will just randomly hard freeze for around 20-40 seconds then goes back to normal. I know this isn't a temperature issue because ive seen it happen under 60c. It's also very random, sometimes it would have two 20-40 second freezes back to back in the course of a few minutes and sometimes once every few hours. This has also never happened with my older gpu, can someone please help?

My old 5 year gpu recently died and so I decided to get a new gpu (RX 580) without upgrading my other parts. Everything works fine, however sometimes when i'm playing a game my PC will just randomly hard freeze for around 20-40 seconds then goes back to normal. I know this isn't a temperature issue because ive seen it happen under 60c. It's also very random, sometimes it would have two 20-40 second freezes back to back in the course of a few minutes and sometimes once every few hours. This has also never happened with my older gpu, can someone please help?
Well, mind stating your specifications. Always do it in an issue like this as it helps a lot. What was your last GPU as well. State all your specs including PSU brand, ram speeds, cpu etc.

Distanzes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Well, mind stating your specifications. Always do it in an issue like this as it helps a lot. What was your last GPU as well. State all your specs including PSU brand, ram speeds, cpu etc.

Last GPU: GTX 760
CPU: AMD FX8320
MB: Msi 970A-G43
Ram: HyperX blu 8gb
PSU: Rosewill Green Series 630w

I know my GPU kinda bottlenecks my CPU, but I didn't think would be an issue.

Last GPU: GTX 760
CPU: AMD FX8320
MB: Msi 970A-G43
Ram: HyperX blu 8gb
PSU: Rosewill Green Series 630w

I know my GPU kinda bottlenecks my CPU, but I didn't think would be an issue.
Ok 2 things to point out, when I used to have a computer with an FX4300 and a GTX1050 I would get a lot of freezing, similar to you so that could be the issue. However that power supply seems to be a bad model, it wouldn't necessarily cause performance issues but I would look into replacing it. So either the GPU is getting really heavily bottlenecked by the CPU, or either the GPU has bad drivers. Have you tried updating drivers, rolling back, reinstalling?

Distanzes

Reputable
Jun 16, 2016
Ok 2 things to point out, when I used to have a computer with an FX4300 and a GTX1050 I would get a lot of freezing, similar to you so that could be the issue. However that power supply seems to be a bad model, it wouldn't necessarily cause performance issues but I would look into replacing it. So either the GPU is getting really heavily bottlenecked by the CPU, or either the GPU has bad drivers. Have you tried updating drivers, rolling back, reinstalling?
I actually had a feeling that the power supply might be the issue, but yes I tried reinstalling all the newest drivers and it still randomly freezes. Is it possible for a bad/failing power supply to cause these issues?