New gpu computer won't boot

luceze

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hi all,

I just bought an nvidia 6450 card for my 1 year old computer. I plugged in the card and the computer would not boot. No post or beeps. The fans run and the hdd spins up. There is power to the dvd drive also.

The psu is only rated at 220W, but I picked this card for the low power requirements.

I removed the card and plugged the vga cable back into the on board video slot and still nothing.

Any ideas?

Comp Specs:

AMD athlon II X4 645 quad core
6 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 9200 onboard graphics

luceze

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Here is the card model.

Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 Silence 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI Low Profile PCI-Express Video Card - EAH6450 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)

The onboard video is Nvidea 9200.

Thanks,
Eric

luceze

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply,

Then why won't the computer post (no beeps) even after I remove the new card? Could the PSU have been damaged? What else could cause it to not boot?

Eric

it depends. if the unit was good quality one it should be able to run 6450 just fine. but if the psu was quite old or generic one it might be the problem. i think it is a good idea to get better power supply. try to get at least 300w psu that comes from reliable psu maker. if you look for generic psu try to look one with 400w-500w unit though personally i don't recommend you to use generic psu with your computer

did you meant there is no power at all running through your pc even after removing the card? if that's the case maybe your psu has gone bad

luceze

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Without the card: There is power to the fans, hdd light flashes on and off irregularly as if reading the drive, network cable lights up, optical drive opens. No display, beeps, or boot however.

luceze

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Solved.
1. Removed video card, pci cards, ram.
2. Powered up and got one long loud beep (no memory)
4. Added one stick of RAM.
5. Powered up and it booted using the on board graphics.
6. Disabled the on board graphics in the device manager.
7. Tried Inserting the new graphics card and the computer wouldn't boot (no post or beep)
8. Removed RAM and Video Card and got the one long beep.
9. Reinserted new video card and one stick of RAM and it booted using the new graphics card.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Eric