New GPU decision to be made after new monitor purchase...

ctv

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hey Everyone

I am aiming to purchase a new GPU from any time between now and the end of the year. If not for my new monitor purchase, I would have gone straight to a GTX 1070 / Ti , or wait for the new presumably "RTX" GPUs. My new monitor runs at 60Hz 1440p, however is Adaptive-Sync capable, even if only limit to a range of 40-60 Hz. As a side-note, I currently have a GTX 970.

I am pondering if I should not look at a RX 580 or Vega 56 (though the latter is quite a bit more expensive than a GTX 1070 / Ti in my country) purely with the intent to be able to make use of the monitor's Adaptive-Sync capabilities, or am I better off to get faster, cheaper and more power efficient GTX 1070 Ti, or even a new RTX and ensure that I can at least maintain 60 FPS at 1440p and cap it at that value or 1-3 FPS less in games, or if possible driver or app such as RivaTuner to try to reduce tearing and stuttering, while keeping VSYNC off to reduce input lag?

What do you guys think. Many thanks.

Regards,
CTV

Wait 72hrs or so until nvidia unveils what ever surprise they have up their sleeve, which is details regarding their new gpu range. I moved from an R9 fury+freesync monitor to a 1080 and I can't say I have missed freesync so far. I haven't experienced any tearing but it could be me getting old and my eyes not being what they used to (33 is old!)

ctv

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011

I am definitely going to wait for Monday's reveal before making a decision. I there any way to reduce tearing and stuttering to somewhat of an acceptable level, without making use of variable refresh rate monitor technologies such as G-SYNC / FreeSync or having to enable VSYNC which can cause input lag?