Question New GPU facing issues with fps.

LukasLindNielsen

Honorable
Dec 8, 2014
I have upgraded to an Asus Geforce GTX 6gb dual oc. However I have been facing issues with the new Graphics card. I would usually run around 90-100 fps and occasionally drop down to around 50 fps, on CS;GO, with my AMD Radeon R9 280 series Graphics card. With my new graphics card I’m doing around 120 fps with dropdowns to around 80 fps, since the upgrade I have also experienced stuttering.

This small margin of change was perculiar to me as I usually never was able to play Rust at more than 50fps with horrid settings with the old GPU. With the 1060 I am able to go with high settings at a moderate 70fps. That’s a big difference considering CS;GO had little change. This is properly because Rust is more GPU intensive

I suspected the GPU is being restrained by wrong drivers, old AMD drivers interfering and power limitations.
I did fix all these possible issues, that possibly could hinder performance.
This however does not seem to have had any effect.

I’m now suspecting the CPU might be bottlenecking the GPU. The AMD FX 4350 quad core is already overclocked at around 3600 mhz.

Any advice?

Regards.
Lukas

Yeah, that quad core FX is most certainly the bottleneck. So, you have two options here depending on how much money you may or may not have to spend. The cheapest way to go is to pick up an FX 8350 and drop it into your motherboard. That will alleviate most of the bottlenecking issues, but still leave you well behind modern gaming systems.

The better choice is a full CPU, motherboard, and RAM upgrade to something like a Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5, or an Intel 8th or 9th gen i3 or i5. Something like a Ryzen 3 2200G would be a huge performance increase over the FX 4350, and with 8 GB of DDR4 3200 plus a new B450 motherboard is an upgrade you can get away with for right around $300.

Reactions: barryv88

LukasLindNielsen

Honorable
Dec 8, 2014
Yeah, that quad core FX is most certainly the bottleneck. So, you have two options here depending on how much money you may or may not have to spend. The cheapest way to go is to pick up an FX 8350 and drop it into your motherboard. That will alleviate most of the bottlenecking issues, but still leave you well behind modern gaming systems.

The better choice is a full CPU, motherboard, and RAM upgrade to something like a Ryzen 3 or Ryzen 5, or an Intel 8th or 9th gen i3 or i5. Something like a Ryzen 3 2200G would be a huge performance increase over the FX 4350, and with 8 GB of DDR4 3200 plus a new B450 motherboard is an upgrade you can get away with for right around $300.

Thank you for the answer,
The 300$ option looks good and I will most certainly be upgrading to those.

Best Regards.
Lukas

TRENDING THREADS