[SOLVED] New GPU - Fans Spin, No Display

Nov 6, 2020
Disclaimer: Please be aware that I am technologically incompetent, so bear with me. Thanks!

Build (according to Speccy);

OS - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

CPU - Intel Core i5-760

RAM - 16GB DDR3

Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7HS5-M (LGA1156)

GPU - 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Storage - 465GB Seagate ST3500418AS

PSU - TR2-430W

Problem:

Hey all! I recently ordered a XFX Radeon HD 7870 on ebay, but it says there's no display. When I start up the PC, there is a beeping sequence: 1 long beep, 3 short beeps, pause, 1 short beep (the same sequence happens when I turn on the PC without a graphics card installed). The GPU has two pci-e pins; one 6-pin connector, and one 8-pin connector. My PSU doesn't come with an 8-pin connector, so I just have the 6-pin plugged into the GPU. Whenever I install my old GPU (the GeForce 8400 GS), the PC boots up just fine.

What I've tried:

I've tried messing around in the BIOS settings, but I can't seem to find the UEFI option or anything (I think it's because my mobo doesn't have onboard graphics). I've also tried resetting the CMOS by taking out the battery for a few seconds and putting it back in. I have also triple-checked my connections and cables and everything seats nicely (aside from the 8-pin connector mentioned earlier which I don't have).

What I haven't tried:

I haven't tried plugging in BOTH 8 and 6 pin-connectors to the new GPU, because of two reasons; I don't want to buy a new PSU for just a theory that may or may not work, and because the fans work at a pretty fast speed so I don't suspect power to be an issue. I also haven't tried the other video output ports aside from HDMI because I don't have the cables / adapters for them.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Solution
Try an adapter 6pin to 8pin if you don´t wanna spend money for a new or used PSU with 8 and 6 pin PCIe connectors, but this is really not recommended. Could hurt your whole system.

I think at least 2x6pin are necessary to run the card, but still not recommended, getting a PSU with 8+6pin is the best option you have, or sell the card and get a different one with only one 6pin connector. Like GTX1050TI, RX570 (look at cards with only one 6pin power connector),..

Be sure you have the latest BIOS version 1302 installed
Try an adapter 6pin to 8pin if you don´t wanna spend money for a new or used PSU with 8 and 6 pin PCIe connectors, but this is really not recommended. Could hurt your whole system.

I think at least 2x6pin are necessary to run the card, but still not recommended, getting a PSU with 8+6pin is the best option you have, or sell the card and get a different one with only one 6pin connector. Like GTX1050TI, RX570 (look at cards with only one 6pin power connector),..

Be sure you have the latest BIOS version 1302 installed

Last edited:
Reactions: HamonOverdrive
Solution