[SOLVED] new GPU for 5 year old alienware R51

Sep 14, 2020
I have a stock Alienware R51 that is 5 years old, graphics card is failing self-tests and I want to replace it regardless. thoughts on what is a good card to put in it.

CPU - Core i7-5820K @ 3.30 GHZ
RAM - 16.0 GB quad channel DDR4 @ 2133 MHZ
GPU - Nvidia GTX 980 w/ 4GB, GDDR5 (replacing this)
PSU - alienware something 1500 W
motherboard - alienware 0XJKKD (its an R2 formfactor case)
primary monitor - Dell U2715H 2560x1440 @ 60hz

Budget isn't a huge concern, 200-600 I guess, was looking more for best bang for the buck and not putting in a card which I won't get any tangible benefit because the rest of the system is too slow/old. I'm thinking a new card might get me 3 or more years out of this desktop? not sure.

Mainly play PUBG, DayZ. want to play Call of Duty- Modern Warfare. Frankly been having issues with mouse clicks, freezing stuff, think it is the video card failing all the self tests.

Thinking of staying with Nvidia, familiar with their software, etc.

So, thinking
RTX 2070 super $520
RTX 2060 super $250 (leaning here)
RTX 2060 $315

what I don't get, why does the 2060 cost more than the 2060 super? super has 8GB vs. 6GB for the regular.

I guess I'd get the 2070 if it "future proofs" me another year but if it won't make much difference, especially with my monitor only being 1440?

Anyway, I've replaced video cards before but haven't done a real build from scratch and thought I'd ask the experts. thanks for any tips.

Also, do you guys think the prices on the current cards will drop much in the next 2 weeks because of the 3080 or is that probably already priced into the market.

Solution
If you want the older generation I'd suggest looking for a used 2070 Super. But I would not buy a new 2000 series with the new 3000 series going on sale this week.
Sep 14, 2020
I guess I thought that with as old as my motherboard and CPU are that I don't need or will benefit enough from it? And I have seen that the 3080 is coming and know I don't need that, hadn't seen the 3070 info until you mentioned it.

Does it seem reasonable to put that much card in the system I have? It's unlikely I'll upgrade the CPU.

Also, can you run a game off a non "primary" harddrive? I have a 250 ssd and a much bigger reguarl harddrive but these new games are enormous, can I put in a 1 TB SSD as an E drive or something and run the game from that, or does it really help to have it on the C drive. thanks.

TRENDING THREADS