New GPU for my PC

Calvin1337

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Hello , I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card next month so I'd like some suggestions what is the best graphics card should I have on my PC

PC Specs :
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
NVidia GeForce 9400 GT

The upgrade will be a NVidia grapics card

Solution
You've got enough RAM for any game out there but the CPU is pretty slow. I had a temporary solution for my secondary PC where I had as a GPU an HD6870 (multiple times faster than yours) and as CPU an x2 6000+ (slightly slower than yours). The GPU was powerful enough to max out L4D2 at 200-300 fps while the same system with the x2 6000+ only got me 25-60fps. So the question is, how much do you really want to spend for a good GPU without upgrading your CPU?

I'd suggest not going faster than a GTX 650 ti or the upcoming 750 ti for your GPU. Even that might be quite the overkill.

Whatever GPU you choose make sure that it fits in your case and that the PSU has enough power to run it. Also don't just decide to go with an Nvidia. Choose...

CraigN

Distinguished
What's your budget and your power supply? Kind of hard to recommend anything when all you give us is "I want an Nvidia card that's an upgrade" can be anything from a 9500 GT to a 780 Ti ;)

Offhand, I would recommend the 650 Ti Boost or the GTX 760 assuming you've got the PSU to drive them. Not so fast that it'll get bottlenecked by your processor (Although that is something you should look into upgrading down the road too) but nice enough to play some of the new games.

OnkelCannabia

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
You've got enough RAM for any game out there but the CPU is pretty slow. I had a temporary solution for my secondary PC where I had as a GPU an HD6870 (multiple times faster than yours) and as CPU an x2 6000+ (slightly slower than yours). The GPU was powerful enough to max out L4D2 at 200-300 fps while the same system with the x2 6000+ only got me 25-60fps. So the question is, how much do you really want to spend for a good GPU without upgrading your CPU?

I'd suggest not going faster than a GTX 650 ti or the upcoming 750 ti for your GPU. Even that might be quite the overkill.

Whatever GPU you choose make sure that it fits in your case and that the PSU has enough power to run it. Also don't just decide to go with an Nvidia. Choose whatever product fits your niche for your price range. Choosing by brand is a horrible idea.

Solution

Calvin1337

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

Umm , I'd like a PC without bottleneck cause I can get what I want for what I pay
I have a 1000W and a 750W power supply laying around so I guess there will be no problem

GTX 650 Ti Boost is out of stock :(

Kkkk1

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Providing your PSU can drive it I reckon a GTX 770 your CPU might hold it back at the moment but when you upgrade your CPU you'll still have a GPU to do it justice so you won't have to upgrade GPU as well again.

Calvin1337

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

There are no stock for LGA 775 processors around here

Wrong click on the best solution -.- sorry

Calvin1337

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

This is the last time I'm going to upgrade this PC so I wont upgrade this PC anymore
Plus I don't want a bottleneck system cause I want what I get for what I pay

CraigN

Distinguished
Why is it the "last time"?

Your CPU will hold back a high-end GPU, it's just that old and there's really no way around that without a mobo&CPU swap.

You might find a 660 on the cheap, but if you plan on being a one-and-done, without upgrading anything else, I wouldn't shop so high. The GPU can only do so much extra work for you.

Also, shopping based on brand isn't a terrible idea if you've had enough experience with both and you know which one you like more. I only shop Nvidia myself, and that's because I've had more than my fair share of bad AMD GPUs over the years. I've yet to have an Nvidia card go out on me or have any driver issues, and I have several that are years old and still kicking.

Calvin1337

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

Because I got another PC that needs tons of upgrades
I just need a best and the fastest GPU that will work perfectly with my GPU

Edit:
Sorry wrong reply , I was going to reply to CraigN

Calvin1337

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

Because I got another PC that needs tons of upgrades
I just need a best and the fastest GPU that will work perfectly with my GPU

CraigN

Distinguished
I'm assuming you meant CPU.

There's no "perfect" fit for your CPU. Your CPU is fairly old, and there's going to be a bottleneck regardless of what you get. The best you can do for that computer is to establish a price point of how much you're willing to spend on a new GPU for that machine, think about what kind of performance you're expecting out of it, and then purchase within that price margin.

If you're looking to stay under $300, get a 760 or find somewhere with a 650 Ti Boost in stock. If you don't need anything terribly high-performing, find a GT 640.