New GPU for old PC

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Hello,
I was going to buy new GPU but my counsin told me that I have weak bus on motherboard for that good GPU and my CPU would hold me back. Now I'm not sure what to do

Current build:
In 2-4 years I want to buy notebook and my budget now is about 150€. Would It be okay if I buy this gpu or is it really bad idea? Should I even upgrade something with so little budget ?
Thanks.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Your CPU will hold almost anything back save for what you already have. That said, a GTX 1050 and they would be vastly better even with the CPU bottleneck. Your motherboard does support much better FX processors. Maybe you can pick up an FX 6300 down the road.

Solution

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

Processor looks decent and for good price. ehhh :/ If I wait a little, after winter I'm gonna get about 70€, I could afford that CPU and some GPU for about 140€ aaand thats exactly for gtx 1050, It looks perfect but Im still not sure if It is compatible with my motherboard

That CPU works fine on your board (may require a BIOS update which is easy on gigabyte boards & totally safe as it has a dual BIOS)

Massive upgrade over that old x2 & is a really good price

& yep if you upgraded the CPU now & saved a bit more moneybfor a RX 460 or gtx 1050 you'd have a solid little budget gaming system .be aware that the new gen cards do not have any form of analog output so your monitor must support DVI-D or HDMI.

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Yeh my monitor supports only VGA, but there are reductions for almost anything, I just dont know from what output I should choose. Probably I will ask my teacher who knows the stuff.
Still there is just one thing that worries me. With that compatibility I meant GPU. He told me that I have weak bus on motherboard for any good new graphic card. And I just cant find out how to check it.

For Converting a digital signal (DVI-D or HDMI) to an analog signal (VGA) you need an active converter which is around 40-50$. You better sell your curent monitor add the money from the converter and buy a new monitor which supports HDMI(they are the cheapest ones)

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Thank you :) However I found out that my motherboard has PCIexprexx x16 2.0 only. On 1 forum I found that it would "block" half of the speed of my pcie 3.0 gpu, and here on Tom's I found thread with someone saying that high-end gpus can still run normally on 2.0. Does anyone know what is true now ?

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

so I finally saved some money and bought Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 and today I tried to install it, unsuccessfully.
Because I have GeForce GT 240 (both Nvidia) I did not uninstall any driver.
I just unplugged all cables, replaced graphics cards and plugged in power cable.
When I turned pc on, expected boot beep sound, but instead its just one loud continuous beep.

On forums they say it's usually RAM, but It was running fine before.

Do you have any idea what's bad ? I have 400W PSU, however based on online voltage calculator my usage is 200W+- (3 RAM cards DDR3 4gb x2 + 2gb, cpu gpu mobo, 2 fans both connected to mobo, one harddrive SATA 5.4rpm 500gb, mouse and keyboard, thats all ), plus PSU should be at least twice W as GPU use (found this somewhere on forums) 75W gpu should be still fine.

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016

With old GPU computer works still fine (first it was not detecting GPU, 3 short beeps, just cleaned everything and its works fine as always), and only card I have in slots is graphics so...

I noticed that 1050 isn't "meant" for my case, but still was able to smoothly plug it. Screw was quite forced into random hole, GPU max. few degrees tilted (because of that random hole I was fixing it by the eye) and It seemed like left side of gpu was not fully plugged (1mm+-) but contacts were connected. Could this be the problem ?

very possibly mate - as I said that beep code to me signifies a loose card in slot.

You need the card flush,it should click/lock in at the front with the pci express & sit flat front to back.
Whats stopping the back of the card fully is probably the tabs on the backplate not slotting into the motherboard tray of the case properly.

Pull the opposite side of the case off so you can see behind the board etc.youll see little tab holes where those gpu plate tabs shoul cdome through,fit the card again & see if anything is stopping it.
Sometimes on cheap cases the tabs just wont line up right & you may have to bend them a little.

by gpu tabs I mean these things.

You had a vga only monitor when you first posted,did you buy an active vga adapter ??

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
I'm sorry, my bad. I forgot about additionally bought fan for old GPU connected in SYS_FAN2 (3 pins) on motherboard. New GPU was plugged in with additional fan in motherboard, turned on computer and GPU fans worked, after boot they stopped and additional fan started.

I guess I have to do something with BIOS (AMI) ?

Its a twin fan model gpu ??

If so fans starting on boot hen stopping completely is normal & what shoudl happen,these cards have a zero fan profile under 60c.

If youre still not getting a display & you think the card is plugged allthe way in & the beep codes have stopped then Id blame it on that vga adapter you have more than anything else

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
Yes, twin fan.

With that BIOS I meant how can I turn off the SYS_FAN2 ? Without additionall fan plugged in it computer wont boot up - that continuous beep.

cokolele

Commendable
Nov 3, 2016
No info about that on forums, probably not possible to turn off 2. system fan with this rev. and version of bios. I will have to glue that fun somewhere in case D-: