[SOLVED] New GPU gives CPU higher temps

larrybeast12

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
Hi, I just recently upgraded both my CPU and GPU to a Ryzen 5 3600 and a MSI Gaming X RX 580 8GB.

At first I had a 3GB GTX 1060 and a Ryzen 3 1200. This was a pretty decent combo that had my CPU at 65c max on full load with the 1060. Later on I decided to upgrade my GPU to a RX 580, which performs really well but took my 65c to a 75-80c temperature. I wasn't really worrying about it at first so I also decided to upgrade my CPU to a 3600 due to bottleneck issues. The Performance is way better but the CPU still seems to run at 75-80c on full load. I am really confused with this issue because I heard that the stock cooler would be fine for the CPU even if I was overclocking. (I'm not Overclocking) I also have 4 fans in my case; 1 exhaust and 3 intake.

By the way my GPU temps are fine at 70c

My Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GAMING X RX 580 8GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR4-2400 (2x4GB)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B350M-Plus
HDD: Seagate 2TB
SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB
PSU: 400w EVGA N1(Upgrading soon)
Case: DIYPC Diamond-F1

I'm starting to think that the main problem can be either the case or PSU

Solution
Hi, I just recently upgraded both my CPU and GPU to a Ryzen 5 3600 and a MSI Gaming X RX 580 8GB.

At first I had a 3GB GTX 1060 and a Ryzen 3 1200. This was a pretty decent combo that had my CPU at 65c max on full load with the 1060. Later on I decided to upgrade my GPU to a RX 580, which performs really well but took my 65c to a 75-80c temperature. I wasn't really worrying about it at first so I also decided to upgrade my CPU to a 3600 due to bottleneck issues. The Performance is way better but the CPU still seems to run at 75-80c on full load. I am really confused with this issue because I heard that the stock cooler would be fine for the CPU even if I was overclocking. (I'm not Overclocking) I also have 4 fans in my case; 1...

At first I had a 3GB GTX 1060 and a Ryzen 3 1200. This was a pretty decent combo that had my CPU at 65c max on full load with the 1060. Later on I decided to upgrade my GPU to a RX 580, which performs really well but took my 65c to a 75-80c temperature. I wasn't really worrying about it at first so I also decided to upgrade my CPU to a 3600 due to bottleneck issues. The Performance is way better but the CPU still seems to run at 75-80c on full load. I am really confused with this issue because I heard that the stock cooler would be fine for the CPU even if I was overclocking. (I'm not Overclocking) I also have 4 fans in my case; 1 exhaust and 3 intake.

By the way my GPU temps are fine at 70c

My Specs
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: MSI GAMING X RX 580 8GB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR4-2400 (2x4GB)
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B350M-Plus
HDD: Seagate 2TB
SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB
PSU: 400w EVGA N1(Upgrading soon)
Case: DIYPC Diamond-F1

I'm starting to think that the main problem can be either the case or PSU
  1. While your temps are “high”, they aren’t e alarming and won’t damage anything.
  2. All modern CPUs Have a turbo boost and “overclock” themselves, so you are overclocking.

If you are really concerned about this you have 2 options.

1. Get a better cpu cooler.
  2. Manually lock your cpu speed and voltage. You’ll likely achieve the same cpu speed with a lower voltage setting it manually versus the auto feature. This will lower temps.

Regardless off all these things, get a better PSU.

Last edited:
Solution

larrybeast12

Prominent
Jan 18, 2018
  1. While your temps are “high”, they are alarming and won’t damage anything.
  2. All modern CPUs Have a turbo boost and “overclock” themselves, so you are overclocking.
If you are really concerned about this you have 2 options.

1. Get a better cpu cooler.
  2. Manually lock your cpu speed and voltage. You’ll likely achieve the same cpu speed with a lower voltage setting it manually versus the auto feature. This will lower temps.
Regardless off all these things, get a better PSU.
Thanks any good cooler you recommend