New GPU Help!

Michelle Cleary

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Just purchased a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750Ti Super-Clocked GPU upgrade for my desktop PC (Dell Inspiron 560) to replace the on-board graphics and speed up the show. However I am finding myself in a Catch-22. I cannot find a place in the BIOS to change the boot priority of the graphics card so I am convinced it isn't an option with my motherboard. Whenever the new GPU is installed, it causes my monitor (VGA) and TV (HDMI) to both go blank. I plug in my monitor to the new GPU and its still blank. It seems Windows 7 is not automatically installing the required driver. So I remove the new GPU to manually install the driver from the provided disk - but the install program says the hardware needs to be installed first. Problem is, the displays are blank when the hardware is installed! Do I risk uninstalling/disabling my on-board chipset from the device manager for a possibly bad card? What I am doing wrong? Thanks!

Solution
Video cards aren't typically plug and play, you need to use the CD that came with the box or download the driver off of nVidia's website. They have a tool that allows you to select your OS and video card and it will provide you with the best driver.

(You may also need to uninstall your onboard driver afterwards for compliance)

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Video cards aren't typically plug and play, you need to use the CD that came with the box or download the driver off of nVidia's website. They have a tool that allows you to select your OS and video card and it will provide you with the best driver.

(You may also need to uninstall your onboard driver afterwards for compliance)

Solution

Michelle Cleary

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015

I understand that I need to install the driver. However I cannot install the driver from the disk unless the hardware is installed. When the hardware is installed, my monitors are blank so I cannot see what I am doing. Is there a way around this?

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
You should be able to select Onboard graphics from BIOS even with the hardware installed, then with your monitor connected to your MOBO and not your GPU, you can go to nVidias website and download the latest driver from there.

Don't use the CD.