New GPU Idle temp too high

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016
So i bought a 1060 about a month ago and today my videos/games was lagging, done a temp check and the GPU is idling 55-65, i opened it up and cleaned it and its still idle at the same temps... any ideas on a fix?

speed fan pick 10 mins after restarting comp on idle http://imgur.com/a/5AWoL

remove the nvidia video drivers and reinstalll them. if the driver is damaged it may not turning on the fan when it hits normal thermal profile. if there not change use msi afterburner change fan profile make sure the fans are moving to keep the gpu cool.

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016

i read that the fan doesnt kick in until 60c, but why is it going to 60c idle in the first place?

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
if your pc is lagging it's your internet that is causing that. either way, if the fans stay off at idle (which a lot do these days) then that idle temp is fine. completely normal and if it concerns you, set a fan curve to have them kick on at a lower temperature

either way, your load temps are what you should be concerned about moreso

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016

i should of been more clear, some videos were lagging and then i tried playing arma and the fps was terrible, this is when i done a speed/temp test

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
70C is just fine for that card. even 80C is ok. if your frame rate isn't where you think it should be, try COMPLETELY uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers for the GPU. there are a ton of guides you can find with a simple google search on how to do this

edit - make sure you download and install the very latest drivers for the 1060 as well

stuch_flex

Reputable
Aug 4, 2016

That reminds me, when i had the slow videos and then played Arma and the frame rate was awful, i remember dropping an empty bottle on my PC and the fans kicked in and cooled it down to a reasonable temp, sounds dumb right. The CPU's were over heating but now they are fine. Could it of been a dodgy wire?

But now the problem is the GPU idling at 60c+ that isn't good, iv'e read that isn't a good temp to be idling at.

dangus

Admirable
Oct 8, 2015
like i said before, your card idles with fans off...if that makes you uncomfortable, force the fans on at all times or force them on at a lower temperature through software. my gtx 1070 idles at 55C. it's normal. if you want a better idle temp with GPU fans off you'll need to get some fans for airflow

Which case do you have?

Have you tried to manually adjust your fan curve? It's clear what the default settings are. Set your own fan curve like it was suggested above.

How many fans do you have?

Do you have any top fans?

I would replace your fans. Doubtful a bottle flip would have moved any wires. More than likely a fan is or was "sticky" and the flip gave it a nudge.

Purchase an aftermarket cooler for your CPU. The V8 from Cooler Master is HUGE but very effective at cooling. If your case's internal temp. is too warm then the GPU won't be able to adequately cool itself.

I THINK your issue might be your GFX card's cooling solution. Save money and buy a 3GB single fan Asus 1060 and????