Question New gpu install. DDU necassary?

So my new gpu is in the mail and scheduled to be delivered today. I'm fairly excited to get it installed. But have one question, as I've been reading this a lot lately. Is running DDU a necessity? I've swapped gpu several times before and never did this. But I've been seeing it recommended more and more.

So do I have to or can I just do a clean install on the latest driver?

If your new gpu is the same(nvidia to nvidia) then removing old drivers and such is not necessary.

If you are changing to a different kind, like amd to nvidia then yes, I would work to remove all old driver elements.
Any gpu will have a basic low res mode that will run without any drivers at all

If your new gpu is the same(nvidia to nvidia) then removing old drivers and such is not necessary.

If you are changing to a different kind, like amd to nvidia then yes, I would work to remove all old driver elements.
Any gpu will have a basic low res mode that will run without any drivers at all
From Nvidia to Nvidia, you still need to install drivers unless it's the exact same GPU. The installation process customises the gpu to the PC and different gpus have different requirements to run to their full potential.

As for DDU, you can run it in normal mode, the only reason safe mode is recommended is because there are fewer programs running that might somehow get screwed up, but I've never seen that happen yet.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and ran DDU in safe mode and am currently installing the newest nvidia driver. It was nvidia to nvidia, but I wanted the least amount of hassle. And honestly the extra steps taken make me feel a little better. So tired of dealing with driver errors. Now onto some gaming with the new 2080!!!

From Nvidia to Nvidia, you still need to install drivers unless it's the exact same GPU. The installation process customises the gpu to the PC and different gpus have different requirements to run to their full potential.

As for DDU, you can run it in normal mode, the only reason safe mode is recommended is because there are fewer programs running that might somehow get screwed up, but I've never seen that happen yet.
While removing the old drivers on a nvidia to nvidia move is not necessary, you should always install an updated driver
For the card you install.