Question New gpu installation motherboard beeps 4 times and no signal appearing on my monitor

Sep 14, 2019
I just installed a gtx 980 into my Intel motherboard. But then I came to turn my PC on and my motherboard beeped 4 times and I got no signal so I went back to my old gpu and my PC works fine but I cant figure out why it's not working. Help me plz

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
What motherboard do you have?

If it is a Asus one then one long beep followed by 3 short beeps usually means that no VGA/GPU was detected. have you connected the new card to extra power from the PSU? You can not run a GTX980 just from the motherboard it needs to be hooked up to the power supply with one or two 6-8 pin cables. If memory serves me right most of the GTX980 cards needed either 2X 6 pin cables or 1 X 6 pin+ 1X 8 pin connector depending on the model used.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
What motherboard do you have?

If it is a Asus one then one long beep followed by 3 short beeps usually means that no VGA/GPU was detected. have you connected the new card to extra power from the PSU? You can not run a GTX980 just from the motherboard it needs to be hooked up to the power supply with one or two 6-8 pin cables. If memory serves me right most of the GTX980 cards needed either 2X 6 pin cables or 1 X 6 pin+ 1X 8 pin connector depending on the model used.
intel desktop board 01 e70931-403

Joakim Agren

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
4 beeps on old Intel legacy BIOS usually means the timer is not operating correctly. Meaning the CMOS battery is depleted. So change the battery on the mother board (after removing the old battery wait 1 minute before putting the new in to clear CMOS)and set the time and date correctly inside the BIOS and see if that helps. Another thing you can try is to boot with just 1 RAM stick installed in bank 1 (since system timer is also tied to RAM). Try every RAM stick in every slot (this means a total of 16 reboots if you have 4 sticks in 4 slots to try). If none of that worked then you know there was no problem with RAM.