New GPU installed, but boots to welcome screen then hangs

jajangmien

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
Hey everyone,

So basically my old 8800gt gpu broke, and I replaced it with a gtx 660. Problem is there was no way for me to remove the drivers for they 8800gt and now my computer hangs at the windows welcome screen.

I can boot in safe mode, but not safe mode with networking. When I try to boot in safe mode w/networking the pc gets stuck at classpnp.sys.

So far I've tried most of the windows automated repairs like before booting into windows and such, but no dice.

I've also tried to boot with my last known good configuration and nothing. I've attempted to remove all the nvidia drivers through the device manager, and installed the latest drivers for my new card via safemode.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do now short of reinstalling windows 7 altogether.

Thanks for reading

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

Boot into safe mode with no networking and remove the Nvidia drivers.
    Boot into Windows normally but stop Windows from searching for drivers to install.
    Go to Nvidia site and download the latest drivers and install.

Sorry re-read your post. You may have to go through the install of the drivers in safe mode and choose the option to uninstall the previous drivers

You could try cleaning old driver yourself with....
http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

jajangmien

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

I'll try out IGPU, but to be honest I've never used it before so im not completely sure what it is. I'll look around on Google though.

Basic pc specs:
mobo: gigabyte ga-970a-d3
cpu: amd fx 6100 hex core
ram: corsair vengeance blue 8gb
gpu: inno 3d gt660

edit: ah I looked up IGPU. My mobo has no integrated graphics I use to have an evga 8800gt before it died on me. I ran a tool called driver cleaner pro in attempts to clean up the old drivers, but I guess that didnt clear everything out.

thanks

jajangmien

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Nope just a run of the mill installation. I also noticed in the dxdiag under display everything is N/A or empty.

jajangmien

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

Actually now that you mention it the installation didn't ask me to reboot at all. there was an option under custom install to do a clean install.

When I go to the nvidia folder in my c drive and try to run the NvCplSetupInt I get a "cannot overwrite c:\temp\nvidia\controlpanelinstallertemp\setup.exe access is denied"

I've been running the application i downloaded from inno3d's website. The file is "3.20-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql" when I run it it states that the driver, hdaudio, and 3dvision have been installed.

Edit: Ah when i run the nvcplsetupint it creates a temp folder and then deletes it without, as far as I can tell, doing anything further.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

400W is quite low but that would also depend on the rest of your system if it was to cause issues. As the card is not drawing excess current etc when booting Windows I wouldn't think it your problem at that time. Besides you can get into Safe mode. It seems to be a confict somewhere which I would put down to the driver installation. That's not to say you won't experience instability when gaming. That would depend on the quality of the PSU.

jajangmien

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011
ok so after playing with it a lot I got fed up, and decided to just go ahead and reinstall windows.

But now it hangs at completing installation. I have already tried unplugging all my usb periphs, and every time it attempts to complete installation the screen flashes and then it gets stuck.

I really dont want to have to format my hdd as I've been unable to back it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

If you can boot into Safe mode you can back up your docs etc from there. You could try booting from a CD/DVD OS like Ubuntu to then be able to back up as well.