New GPU installed my pc won't turn on.

Blasthardchees

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I was wondering if anyone can help me with whatever is going on with my pc.

I installed my new gtx 980 that came in the mail today. I was using a gigabyte 5870 so I used driver sweeper to clean all the files and registry etc. I plugged my grx 980 and everything is going pretty smooth. PC fired right away and the GPU's led lit up, fans working etc. I installed the new video drivers, physx, evga precision, pretty much everything on the disc. After that it says to reboot after the installation so I did.

So I reset and nothing happened. My pc lights up for like a millisecond then just shuts down. It can't even make it to the bios. So i tried my old 5870 and everything is working properly. So far I tried updating the mobo bios, clearing come, isolating parts doing pretty process of elimination and still nothing.

I tried the gtx 980 again but the same thing, it just lights up then shuts off. It doesn't even reset or anything. The thing that baffled me is that one time I forgot to attach the 2x 6pin power connectors and the pc booted. The gtx 980 powered up with lights but the fan wasn't working; it would start for a little bit then stop and also the monitor wasn't receiving video. Everything else was working on the pc all the fans, the hard drives etc.

Any ideas? I thinking the psu? If it is psu...I just don't get how the 980 lights up and the rest of the pc starts working when it isn't connected to the 2x 6pin.

Here are my specs:
MSI p67a-g43 mobo with a i7 2600k @4.2
Gigabyte 5870
And a really shitty xon 700w 12n.

So yeah psu prob?

Sorry for the bad grammar everyone. Using my brothers' phablet. Thing is huge!

just_a_gamer

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Hi

Did you fix it? Because i had the same problem! Just the other way around switching from nvidia gtx 560 to a Amd sapphire R9 290 Tri-x.

I suppose that your system is about 4 years old, am i right?

Im having a simular system!

Gigabyte Ga_ p67a-ud3-b3 MOBO
i5 2500k
8 gb kingston ram
Seasonic S12g 750 Watt 80 plus gold Psu

I had a cheap Intertech sl-700 watt powersupply and when i changed to Seasonic 750 watt gold i had the same problem my Pc not booting with the sapphire!

Just random boots though!!! Sometimes it did get past the BIOS and booted up!

So what worked for me was:

1. Replacing the battery on MOBO to a new one because the old one was 4-5 years old!
2. BIOS update, remember to load default settings in BIOS after the update!

I dont really know if it was the battery change or the BIOS update that did it for me because i did it at the same time :)

I also had strange readings on my +12 Volt in BIOS saying 11.2-11.4 volts. Check that out two!

When you plug in your card to MOBO you have 75 Watts in that Pci- e slot...that is why your gtx 980 lit up :)....but you dont have enough power to the fans!

As far as i know the gtx 980 needs at least 42 Amp's on the +12 Volt rail.

Hope you fix the problem!

Blasthardchees

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
The mobo has the latest bios and if it's the power supply howcome the GPU lights up and the fans try to turn on when the 6pins are not connected. Not trying to defend my psu here. What connection makes those lights turn on?

Because there are multiple "sources" of power on a PSU, it could just be that the 12v rail is just not stable enough for a GTX970.

Blasthardchees

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
So of it be the GPU by any chance? Because it did boot up at first when I was installing drivers then after that it won't anymore. I just got accepted for an evga Rma but I have to wait since it's the holidays. I'll try to borrow my friends psu or just see if my GPU works on his system.

Thanks again for everyone that replied. Happy holidays!

just_a_gamer

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
Hi

Did you fix it? Because i had the same problem! Just the other way around switching from nvidia gtx 560 to a Amd sapphire R9 290 Tri-x.

I suppose that your system is about 4 years old, am i right?

Im having a simular system!

Gigabyte Ga_ p67a-ud3-b3 MOBO
i5 2500k
8 gb kingston ram
Seasonic S12g 750 Watt 80 plus gold Psu

I had a cheap Intertech sl-700 watt powersupply and when i changed to Seasonic 750 watt gold i had the same problem my Pc not booting with the sapphire!

Just random boots though!!! Sometimes it did get past the BIOS and booted up!

So what worked for me was:

1. Replacing the battery on MOBO to a new one because the old one was 4-5 years old!
2. BIOS update, remember to load default settings in BIOS after the update!

I dont really know if it was the battery change or the BIOS update that did it for me because i did it at the same time :)

I also had strange readings on my +12 Volt in BIOS saying 11.2-11.4 volts. Check that out two!

When you plug in your card to MOBO you have 75 Watts in that Pci- e slot...that is why your gtx 980 lit up :)....but you dont have enough power to the fans!

As far as i know the gtx 980 needs at least 42 Amp's on the +12 Volt rail.

Hope you fix the problem!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS