Question new GPU made my old cpu overheat

DevonM

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I upgraded from a 970 to a 2070 super and after install my 4790k started to overheat.
I've seated and re applied thermal paste three times and I have a adequate case for air flow. My motherboard/gpu/ and pump temps are fine (around 50-60) but under-load my cpu will immediately spike to 100 degrees.
I'm thinking its either something really dumb i'm missing or my pump died. Would love some help :)

H100 v1 Everything was working until I cleaned my comp out and installed the new card in.
Yeah, that is an odd coincidence. If you are seeing 100C, then something obviously isn't working properly. I would double check all your connections.

I guess it's not under warranty anymore? Those things are notorius for the pump dying/failing. The new Corsair H100i PRO series are a better design.

DevonM

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Yeah, that is an odd coincidence. If you are seeing 100C, then something obviously isn't working properly. I would double check all your connections.

I guess it's not under warranty anymore? Those things are notorius for the pump dying/failing. The new Corsair H100i PRO series are a better design.
Super odd. Do pumps just go out like that? It was just me moving the rad around a bit and putting a new gpu in? Could it be the psu (I have a 620) no being able to support the gpu, cpu, and cooler? I do see my power package in core temp fluctuate.

Reactions: Faisal A
Super odd. Do pumps just go out like that? It was just me moving the rad around a bit and putting a new gpu in? Could it be the psu (I have a 620) no being able to support the gpu, cpu, and cooler? I do see my power package in core temp fluctuate.
Probably not the PSU. Pumps do go out randomly. I've seen probably 20+ people come here that I've respsonded to that found that their Corsair H100i or H100i v2 was letting their CPU run at 100C and their pump just wasn't working. No other way around it than to get a new cooler, so long as you've exhausted every other possibility as to why the pump isn't working (all cables are plugged in, settings are correct in Corsair software, etc.).

DevonM

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Probably not the PSU. Pumps do go out randomly. I've seen probably 20+ people come here that I've respsonded to that found that their Corsair H100i or H100i v2 was letting their CPU run at 100C and their pump just wasn't working. No other way around it than to get a new cooler, so long as you've exhausted every other possibility as to why the pump isn't working (all cables are plugged in, settings are correct in Corsair software, etc.).
I Appreciate your help brother. Ill run to microcenter real quick and see if that fixes things. Cheers