New GPU making CPU generate lots of heat and CPU fan spin faster.

Sep 24, 2018
So I've just gotten a EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti for my PC, which has an AMD Athlon II X4 640, and the new GPU seems to be making my CPU fan spin a lot faster and my CPU temp going abnormally high (not dangerously high, just abnormal for my PC). I've only noticed this change when I installed the new graphics card. So I was wondering, should I get a better CPU or better CPU cooler, and could it possible be the new GPU spitting heat into the case? Thanks!

Sep 24, 2018

Thanks for replying so quickly! I'm just looking at the GPU fan right now and it looks like it draws air from the case and pushes it out the back... so I'm not sure that the GPU is making the heat. Would the direction of the fan even matter, or is it the GPU?

Sep 24, 2018

No, it's just hotter in general. Not dangerously hot but it's hot compared to what it used to be.

Sep 24, 2018

I don't know exactly but I'd guess like 10C. I've taken the CPU heatsink off once too, should I try to re-paste it?

Sep 24, 2018

That's probably it then, thanks!

The GPU fans only blow heat out from the heatsink on one side of the card. The backside of the PCB will usually maintain 70+ Celcius and this heat is circulated within the case. If I run CPU only benchmarks my temps are 10C lower than if im gaming with my GPU running full speed.

Sep 24, 2018

Alright, thanks all, I've found a case with better airflow.