dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
My current GPU is an Nvidia GTX 780 . After 8 years it has begun to malfunction and I need to replace it.

My current rig is this :
ASUS ROG IV Black edition
Intel i-7 4930k
64gb RAM Corsair
Seasonic 1050 PSU

I run a dual screen setup with my main monitor running a full 1080p and the second one slightly below that.

My main work is in Photoshop but I also use 3d programs such as After Effects , Premiere pro , Blender , C4D for rendering and video editing. ZERO GAMING.

I would like a suggestion for a good quality card that is moderately future proof (2-3 years) and one that is compatible with my setup . My guess is I need a mid range card and not a high end one .Looking for one that has the best value for my needs but all suggestions are welcome.

Anyone working with a similar experience or otherwise please help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
You might benefit from an older/weaker quadro.
Say, a p3000 or p4000.
They should be pretty cheap, and very good for these applications.
Otherwise, a normal geforce card of your choosing, probably something either a little older but higher end like a gtx 1080/1070 ti or newer and lower end, like the rtx 3060.
Say, a p3000 or p4000.
Otherwise, a normal geforce card of your choosing, probably something either a little older but higher end like a gtx 1080/1070 ti or newer and lower end, like the rtx 3060.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
My current GPU is an Nvidia GTX 780 . After 8 years it has begun to malfunction and I need to replace it.

My current rig is this :
ASUS ROG IV Black edition
Intel i-7 4930k
64gb RAM Corsair
Seasonic 1050 PSU

I run a dual screen setup with my main monitor running a full 1080p and the second one slightly below that.

My main work is in Photoshop but I also use 3d programs such as After Effects , Premiere pro , Blender , C4D for rendering and video editing. ZERO GAMING.

I would like a suggestion for a good quality card that is moderately future proof (2-3 years) and one that is compatible with my setup . My guess is I need a mid range card and not a high end one .Looking for one that has the best value for my needs but all suggestions are welcome.

Anyone working with a similar experience or otherwise please help. Thank you.
Most things would be an upgrade for you tbh. You could get a 1070 for 200-250 atm or a 1080 for around 300-350. A 1080Ti/Titan X pascal would be £400-450

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Any thoughts on the nvidia gtx 1660?
I'm assuming the 2080 is overkill for the 1080p monitor but was considering getting into UNREAL ENGINE a year from now.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will look into these.

Last edited:

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Say, a p3000 or p4000.
wait a quadro p400 is expesive but isn't it for mining?

Last edited by a moderator:
wait a quadro p400 is expesive but isn't it for mining?
The quadro p4000 is on ebay selling for about the same as a gtx 1080 ti, and in actual power is just slightly below the gtx 1070.
Quadros are machine learning/productivity cards, not mining cards.
Since mining actually needs just raw throughput, the higher cost per performance of quadros is bad for mining. That's why miners buy geforce cards.
In some applications, quadros can do 3x better than a geforce card for the same price.
They have special drivers that allow for better number crunching, even if they are not as good in just gaming fps wise (not that they're bad, just more expensive for the same performance.)
I'm unsure whether OG's workloads benefit from quadros, but that's for him to check.
If they do, he might benefit from them much more than a geforce card of the same price, even if the geforce has a technically faster gpu.

Any thoughts on the nvidia gtx 1660?
I'm assuming the 2080 is overkill for the 1080p monitor but was considering getting into UNREAL ENGINE a year from now.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Will look into these.
The gtx 1660 super is a much better value.
10-20$ more for upwards of 30% better performance, and the new NVENC encoder.

For 1080p, yes, an rtx 2080 is overkill, but what your monitor resolution is doesn't matter. what matters is the project you are working on.
You can edit an 8k video on a 1080p display, your preview will just be worse.
and in blender, you can have a massive project that might take more even though it's only on a 1080 display.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
The gtx 1660 super is a much better value.
10-20$ more for upwards of 30% better performance, and the new NVENC encoder.

For 1080p, yes, an rtx 2080 is overkill, but what your monitor resolution is doesn't matter. what matters is the project you are working on.
You can edit an 8k video on a 1080p display, your preview will just be worse.
and in blender, you can have a massive project that might take more even though it's only on a 1080 display.

A quadro would definitely benefit me. If not right away then 6 months to a years times definitely. A combination of MOTION GRAPHICS/3D/VFX work. Right now nothing too intensive but a little way down the line I could see myself getting into UNREAL ENGINE and trying to run simulations.

So far I have narrowed it down to :
  • 1660 ( not sure how much difference between 1660 regular vs super vs ti)
  • quadro 4000 ( Again not sure what the difference is between RTX4000 and P4000)
I am thinking I need 8gb of VRAM atleast right?

As with most buyers I'm looking to hit that sweet spot where I can get the most value for money. I cant afford the top tier ones but the mid-range and slightly above are ok.
The quadro RTX 4000 8gb is available for a 1000 dollars roughly. If there is anything better I can get for less money or better quality (newer architecture) please do let me know

Last edited:
A quadro would definitely benefit me. If not right away then 6 months to a years times definitely. A combination of MOTION GRAPHICS/3D/VFX work. Right now nothing too intensive but a little way down the line I could see myself getting into UNREAL ENGINE and trying to run simulations.

So far I have narrowed it down to :
  • 1660 ( not sure how much difference between 1660 regular vs super vs ti)
  • quadro 4000 ( Again not sure what the difference is between RTX4000 and P4000)
I am thinking I need 8gb of VRAM atleast right?

As with most buyers I'm looking to hit that sweet spot where I can get the most value for money. I cant afford the top tier ones but the mid-range and slightly above are ok.
The quadro RTX 4000 8gb is available for a 1000 dollars roughly. If there is anything better I can get for less money or better quality (newer architecture) please do let me know
The difference between the rtx 4000 and the p4000 is that the rtx is the newer of the two.
P4000 is pascal (basically a cut down 1070)
RTX 4000 is turing (a cut down (but really just by a tiny bit) 2070)
The rtx 4000 is obviously faster.

In the workloads quadro helps, I think even an older and worse gpu would be better than a geforce.

The 1660 is about 10% faster than the p4000 in general stuff like gaming, but in productivity the quadro might 2x it.

As for VRAM, more = better, but that is very misleading.
VRAM is important as long as you have enough for you project. Meaning if a blender render needs 8 gigs of vram, you would need atleast 8 to get passable results, but (if they were the same gpu), 10, 20 or 96 gigs of ram would perform the same.
Meaning, how much VRAM you need depends on 1 thing: how big your projects are.
8 gigs is not bad for small-medium sized projects.

In my opinion it boils down to this:
get the best quadro you can that won't break the bank.
The P4000 was just something I threw. the p3000, p4000, p5000 and the next tier up, GP100 are all good, and so are the quadro rtx 4/5/6/7/8000
You just need to decide which is worth your money.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
The difference between the rtx 4000 and the p4000 is that the rtx is the newer of the two.
P4000 is pascal (basically a cut down 1070)
RTX 4000 is turing (a cut down (but really just by a tiny bit) 2070)
The rtx 4000 is obviously faster.

In the workloads quadro helps, I think even an older and worse gpu would be better than a geforce.

The 1660 is about 10% faster than the p4000 in general stuff like gaming, but in productivity the quadro might 2x it.

As for VRAM, more = better, but that is very misleading.
VRAM is important as long as you have enough for you project. Meaning if a blender render needs 8 gigs of vram, you would need atleast 8 to get passable results, but (if they were the same gpu), 10, 20 or 96 gigs of ram would perform the same.
Meaning, how much VRAM you need depends on 1 thing: how big your projects are.
8 gigs is not bad for small-medium sized projects.

In my opinion it boils down to this:
get the best quadro you can that won't break the bank.
The P4000 was just something I threw. the p3000, p4000, p5000 and the next tier up, GP100 are all good, and so are the quadro rtx 4/5/6/7/8000
You just need to decide which is worth your money.

There is a Geforce 3060 12gb vram available for 200$ more but based on what you are saying the Quadro RTX 4000 might be the best fit . Considering the state of the market I should decide soon. I'll let you know what I choose but thank you very much. If there is any additional advice please lob it my way.

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I would go with a 3060TI minimum for what you do on your PC. The 3060 is great too, thats what I have in my workstation, but for your 3d rendering, you will want more grunt. Absolutely no need for a Quadro, trust me.
Check out Puget systems, they have tons of pro benchmarks and even make their own suite.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/all_articles.php

How much VRAM capacity do you have in yours? . I am never going to play any games ever. May I ask what sort of programs you run and how much you purchased your GPU for? How are the temps on this?

Last edited:

dimebag11

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
Thank you guys for all the info. Unless there is a last minute change I am going to go for the 3060ti 8gb . Based on your comments I did some more research and it seems for the programs that I mentioned the GEFORCE offers better performance. Not that the QUADRO lacks terribly in capability but it seems more of a fit for CAD programs and such. It seems like the QUADRO is more stable but the 3060ti has a really good price to performance ratio that makes it a good buy. I shall report back once I have it running.

PS: I did look into the 3080 and although it has 10gb VRAM and offers better performance than the 3060Ti there is a jump in price that is out of my price range with the current markup being higher than ever. The 2080 and 2080Ti were not worth the money.