New GPU new problem...

Reav

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Whenever I upgrade my system I always run into a few problems but I usually manage to get past them pretty quickly. I'm bewildered on this one, I recently upgraded my graphics card from a GTS 450 to a GTX 660. Also changed a rubbish psu for a 750w corsair.

Installed drivers and started playing Metro: LL to test it out, high settings. Between 1-15 minutes it will freeze randomly, the first few times it did it right at the beginning and the audio would loop of what I last heard over and over. Took my system apart, put it back together with some cable management. Tried again and it ran smooth at 50 fps for 15 minutes or so, then it froze but with no sound. Updated my bios and thought i'd sorted it out played for 40/50 minutes with no problems then it froze again. Definitely my graphics card i've tested with my old one and all works fine not the power supply.

It doesn't give me a BSOD just freezes the whole computer, it seems to work when idle or not performing GPU intensive tasks. I don't believe it is down to overheating as I checked my temps and GPU rest at about 20-30 idle, 50-70 when playing a game on max settings. Some help would be great!

Is there anything else I can try do? I've updated drivers, reinstalled direct x, updated my bios, uninstalled previous drivers, took my system apart and put it back together again firmly, made sure it's not overheating. Is this a faulty GPU I've recieved should I start the RMA?

My specs:
i7 2600k @ 3.4gHz
EVGA GTX 660 SC 2GB
Corsair CX 750
8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
Asus P8Z77 LX Motherboard
Windows 7 64bit.
If you need any more info just let me know.

Reav

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
Not yet, was going to wait until I get water cooling before overclocking and only planned to overclock the CPU. I've got a replacement on the way now anyway I just hope that works.