[SOLVED] New GPU = no signal to monitor.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I'm upgrading the ageing gtx550ti GPU in my even older lga775 based system for a known good 2nd hand gtx760 from one of my oldest friends, but I'm having problems, here's a quick specs list before I start.

Intel dq45cb motherboard.
Core2quad q9650 CPU.
Intel 320 series 160gb SSD.
Seagate pipeline 500gb HDD.
8gb (4x2gb) Samsung ddr2 800 ram.
Alpine jsp-700p12n 700w PSU.
Toshiba ts-h653 DVD-RW drive.
Hilariously cheap 3.5" memory card reader that replaces the floppy drive.
Win10 x64.

I built this thing a couple of years back and it's been pretty much bulletproof, although it's never really been pushed very hard, and with the lockdown I've got back into gaming a bit, predominantly wreckfest using the UK banger mods, I'm an avid banger racing fan in real life so it just jumped out at me, but I've learned that I have to run pretty much everything on low because 1gb of gddr5 isn't really enough these days.

Anyway, got my new card, the PSU only has 1 6 pin power connector for the card, but I have a few molex adapters kicking around to solve that problem, but no matter what I do I'm getting nothing out of it, just a no signal message and the monitor obviously goes into standby, although I should add that I get the normal post beep and the system boots into windows, I just can't see it.

I've tried swapping the DVI input for the VGA one on the monitor (with a known good adapter on the card) no change, I've been in and used DDU driver uninstaller to eradicate any trace of the 550 while using the onboard q45 output, no change.

I'm unsure of how exactly this board is supposed to act with the pcie slot populated, as I've never been able to use the onboard with a card fitted, regardless of what I tell the bios to do, as an obvious next step would be to see if windows sees the 760 while connected to the onboard, but that's obviously out of the window for the above reason.

I am aware that the PSU I've got has some hideous reviews (now, I couldn't find any when I bought it) talk of them literally popping with fire and flame, so I'm leaning towards this maybe being the cause, although I'd expect it to at least power up, it's run the 550 with it completely pegged for hours at a time on wreckfest and the pc has been good as gold, if the PSU was weak I would have expected some sort of system instability, but there has been none, although I have had this thing where the 550 was underclocking itself to 450mhz randomly on occasion and I had to reboot to clear it, I was blaming that on the GPU being on the way out.

I plan to ask one of my local friends if they have either a system I can test the card in, or a PSU I can plumb in to determine whether mine is innocent or Guilty, I'm as sure as I can be that the card is ok as it's literally one of my best mates I've got it from, he's just upgraded to a Radeon rx460 4gb for his pretty much identical build to mine, so im not suspect of the card, or the boards ability to work with it, I'm just looking for logical next faultfinding steps really.

Many thanks in advance 😊

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Right, that horrible PSU and adaptor are gone, I've now got what I've been advised is a quality unit in there, a seasonic S12III 650w, and the card still won't work, now the lockdown rules have eased somewhat I plan to take the card and my pc to his place an hour or so away to see if we can work out what's going on.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Further update, for reasons I don't understand my emachines monitor absolutely would not let me boot using the onboard with any card in the pcie slot, I actually thought it must be impossible, but my friend who I got the card off said no you definitely can, im doing it right now with my dq45cb system, so I tried a different monitor and yes, you can, however we've deemed this 760 dead as neither the bios or device manager can see it, so far as the computer knows that card doesn't exist, so my friend obviously feels really bad, especially as he literally took it out of his working system, put it in an anti static bag, boxed it and shipped it to me, so there's no reason for it to be dead, just an unfortunate coincidence, so he's looking out another significantly better card than my existing 550ti and is sending that to me instead, I think he said it's a gtx670, which is actually a lot better specs wise than the 760 would have been anyway, and in other news, I've just bought an Asus p5q se/r off eBay that comes with a core2duo, 8gb ram and a massive artcic cooling fan and cooler for £30, which should solve my CPU cooling issues, plus the sata ports are in a much more convenient place as well being an atx board.