Question New GPU, no signal

Jul 23, 2019
This was my first time changing a hardware part in my pc since I built it. I changed my gpu from a radeon rx 480, to a 1660 ti. Now I can't get a signal even though the fans on my new gpu are working. What could the solution be?

Jul 23, 2019
Kindly provide FULL PC specs, including the make/model of your PSU and Motherboard. DO you have the latest BIOS installed on your PC ? Clear and rest the CMOS settings, if need be.

Mobo: Asus H110M-A
Processor: i5 6500
Gpu: 1660 ti
Ram: 8gb
Psu: Evga 500b bronze

Sorry if this is a dumb question; but am I able to see if I have the latest bios update if I can't even get a connection to my monitor?

If you can't get a connection with the GPU, then first you need to boot your system via motherboard's Integrated Graphics Processor/onboard graphics.

Remove the card, if possible, and then plug the Monitor's cable (HDMI, DVI) to the igpu/onboard graphics. After doing this, your system should boot properly. Let me know, if it doesn't. After booting in Windows, you can check the current BIOS version installed on your PC.

But MOST importantly, did you properly connect the PCI-E cables to the GPU from your power supply, 6 and 8-PIN PEG connectors, as applicable ?

Jul 23, 2019
If you can't get a connection with the GPU, then first you need to boot your system via motherboard's Integrated Graphics Processor/onboard graphics.

Remove the card, if possible, and then plug the Monitor's cable (HDMI, DVI) to the igpu/onboard graphics. After doing this, your system should boot properly. Let me know, if it doesn't. After booting in Windows, you can check the current BIOS version installed on your PC.

But MOST importantly, did you properly connect the PCI-E cables to the GPU from your power supply, 6 and 8-PIN PEG connectors, as applicable ?

The 8 pin connector is connected to my new gpu. I tried using a hdmi from my motherboard to monitor, and my screen just stays black? What does that mean if there is also no signal plugged into my motherboard?

So, even if you boot the system via the iGPU, there is no signal, and the screen stays black ?

If you have connected the Monitor's cable to the iGPU, then it's n not necessary to remove the GPU, but it would much better, if you can first physically remove the card, and then try booting via the onboard graphics.

Something might be wrong with your motherboard then, assuming you cannot even boot properly via the onboard graphics. I'm NOT fully sure though. Clear and reset the CMOS/BIOS settings, if need be.

Jul 23, 2019
So, even if you boot the system via the iGPU, there is no signal, and the screen stays black ?

If you have connected the Monitor's cable to the iGPU, then it's n not necessary to remove the GPU, but it would much better, if you can first physically remove the card, and then try booting via the onboard graphics.

Something might be wrong with your motherboard then, assuming you cannot even boot properly via the onboard graphics. I'm NOT fully sure though. Clear and reset the CMOS/BIOS settings, if need be.

Yes this is weird.. before I changed my gpu, plugging a hdmi into the mobo to monitor worked. I'm not sure what I did

When you took the other card out , was the PSU unplugged or turned of with the switch on the back? PSU's still have a little power on the motherboard even when the computer is turned off. I always make sure I am unplugged when changing components. Did you say the onboard graphics were working?

Jul 23, 2019
When you took the other card out , was the PSU unplugged or turned of with the switch on the back? PSU's still have a little power on the motherboard even when the computer is turned off. I always make sure I am unplugged when changing components. Did you say the onboard graphics were working?

I switched the psu off and also unplugged it when removing the card. And no, when I plug a hdmi into my motherboard, the integrated graphics don't even work and my monitor still says no signal. And that also use to work prior to me removing my card.