Question New GPU - no signal

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hello, I installed my GTX 1660 Super and put the 6+2 connector, I booted my PC and got no signal, so I started with the easy troubleshooting steps, I changed the Hdmi cable, reset Bios, made sure everything was properly connected, still no luck. And so I decided to put back my old GT 1030 thinking I got a defective card but now even the 1030 does not work, I get no signal but I do get a POST on both cards I can hear my startup sound but there's nothing on display, I've very carefully swapped cards and didn't force them in or out of the PCIe slot, the monitor is properly set on the active hdmi port, now I'm out of ideas and don't know what to do next.

My specs: ASRock H610M HDV
Cpu: i5 12400f
Psu: Aerocool VX 500 plus

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, (And in your case I'd use the new card first) but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI (Or trying DP if currently using HDMI) if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Last edited:

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hey, tried resetting CMOS, no luck.
Tried to reseat the RAM sticks, no luck.
Removed my NVMe just incase, no luck.
Nothing shows on screen but the system fully boots. So I guess the PCIe slot is maybe damaged? Or power supply issue?

It's a new system, this is the first time I take the gpu card out of the PCIe slot and I did it with care.

It's mind boggling even the card I was getting display on moments before the swap shows no display anymore on the same board.

Could very well be a power supply issue because Aerocool pretty much ONLY has terrible quality power supplies, but it is strange that it won't work even with the GT 1030 that it worked with before.

TRIPLE check everything listed here:

Reactions: a59

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hi, I removed one RAM stick and the battery, made a bios reset and put the GT 1030 back on then turned on the PC and I got display, booted to windows as well then I shutdown the system, put the GTX 1660 back in and I got no signal again... BTW I have Windows 10 1607 installed and this new card is not supported I was planing to update soon as I got the card, would such thing prevent even BIOS from displaying? The cpu has no integrated gpu I thought bios already defaults to PCIe as the primary source of display in such scenario maybe it's the x4 to x16 that confused bios? I tried to replicate the procedure which made me boot but no luck this time I removed the ram stick, tried another, different banks, clearing CMOS each time, still no display.

That card IS supported. There are people with newer cards than that running old @$$ Windows 7 so any version of 10 supports it, besides which, driver support shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with a lack of signal when you turn the machine on.

Where did you buy this card? Used or new?

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
That card IS supported. There are people with newer cards than that running old @$$ Windows 7 so any version of 10 supports it, besides which, driver support shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with a lack of signal when you turn the machine on.

Where did you buy this card? Used or new?
I bought it used from a friend It was running perfectly fine on his PC, the card is in excellent condition.

I'm confused by the fact that his card failing to show signal forbids mine from showing signal too when replaced it's so bizzare that this happens. Anyway, I give up on being able to do something about this at home so I'm sending the PC to the repair shop tomorrow, I've been stressed enough. Thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it a lot.

Have a nice weekend.

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Since this thread is on topic I'd like to know this for sake of knowing... what makes RAM swapping (like booting with one stick even if RAM isn't the issue) stronger than a bios reset? Like my system was not showing signal tried CMOS, JUMPER clearance to reset the bios and it did reset with no improvement yet the moment I did same bios reset steps and booted with one ram stick the system showed signal, does booting with single ram force the motherboard to do a hardware revision?

a59

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Apperantly the card Hdmi port was the problem I only had Hdmi as an option since my display only has 2 hdmi ports, the guy tested display port to display port and got signal but got none when using hdmi to hdmi, so I'll make do with Display port to Hdmi converter.

Just updating incase someone else runs into a similar issue in the future.

Thanks for the help.

Gonna tattoo that post on my body.
LOL. Truthfully though, that process is not the worst idea to perform anytime you change a major component or anytime you experience unusual issues after replacing a component. Resetting the hardware tables stands a pretty good chance of correcting issues. Sometimes the BIOS just wants to pretend like the old hardware is still installed until you force it to reconsider.