New GPU, No video output, no POST

robertsonbt1

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
Okay so I'm replacing the 6870 in my computer with a 1060. The swap goes fine, but after powering up I Get no video output on my HDMI monitor or my VGA monitor with Display Port Adapter.

My motherboard is a 990fxa-ud3. It doesn't have any video output.

The weird thing is - I put my old graphics card in and tried to boot and it did the same thing.

I tried a different PCI-E port. I also tried pulling the CMOS battery. Any ideas?

Solution
It's entirely possible your motherboard plain doesn't support the card. Boards and cpus that old either don't have enough lanes for a gpu like that, or the pci-e connecter doesnt supply enough power through the slot.

I could be wrong, but i believe newer cards pull from the pci-e slot and psu connectors at the same time. Even if older cards did that, they did it differently.

samyakjain222

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017

I think you forgot to place your monitor VGA wire or HDMI wire into graphics card. Or by default your inbuilt preinstalled graphics adapter is turned on (usually Intel).Or your graphics card is faulty.

robertsonbt1

Prominent
Oct 6, 2017
I have an AMD 1090T. There are no inbuilt graphics on my motherboard. I hooked up the monitor to hdmi and also the display port (adapted to VGA).

I put in my old card, and I was able to boot again. Went into the BIOS and there were no settings for PCI-E. Also - my overclocking settings were still in the BIOS. I pulled the battery earlier - i guess that didn't reset all the settings?

I think it is a defective card. I will try again tonight. This new card is PCI-E 3.0, and my port is 2.0. Does that make a difference?

Randomdeath

Commendable
Mar 3, 2016
It's entirely possible your motherboard plain doesn't support the card. Boards and cpus that old either don't have enough lanes for a gpu like that, or the pci-e connecter doesnt supply enough power through the slot.

I could be wrong, but i believe newer cards pull from the pci-e slot and psu connectors at the same time. Even if older cards did that, they did it differently.

Solution