New GPU not at full potential

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JB2501

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Recently got a new gpu (rtx 2070) and it isn't at it's full potential, I tried uninstalling drivers from my old gpu (rx 480) via device manager and it sait it had uninstalled the drivers and that it worked but I'm not sure if it did as I don't have amd catalyst manager. The other potential issue could be my cpu, it's an i5 6600k at 3.6ghz.

Any help would be appreciated <3

JB2501

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I will look at chipset drivers when I’m home, when you say reinstall windows, do I have to just simply reinstall it by pressing a button in settings? And does it wipe my pc?

DSzymborski

Titan

Given that something is going on and you want to eliminate Windows as the issue, you want the full wipe. That means making Windows 10 install media from Microsoft's website, booting to the flash drive or disk you make and doing a full wipe and reinstall.

JB2501

Prominent
May 4, 2017
I’m not able to directly reply on mobile but @DSzymborski does this mean that I should install the os directly to my m2 this time around? I wasn’t given an option to previously but maybe it just wasn’t formatted or something

DSzymborski

Titan

And what steps did you take between the last two posts? It's getting extremely difficult to follow all the things you're doing on your PC with such a fractured timeline. At this point, I have no idea what you're doing, what you have done, and what you haven't.