[SOLVED] New GPU not detected at all! (RX 6800 XT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PcGamerFromHolland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
Dear people,

Finally, my new GPU came in. It's the Asus RX 6800 XT LC model, which I was very excited for. I installed the graphics card and started the system again and... no signal, just a black screen.

So, I put the DP cable back into the motherboard (iGPU of my 10700K) and checked the BIOS. It didn't detect anything in the PCIe slots. However, the fans of the GPU were spinning. This made me believe that my motherboard was not working as it should.

As I also had some issues with a previous card, but didn't investigate the problem at that time because it was only temporary, I reached out to the webshop where I bought the parts from and asked them for advice. They said as well that it could be the motherboard. After I sent them my motherboard, they tested it and it worked absolutely fine for them. They tested multiple graphics cards and other PCIe devices. All functioned fine.

So today I received my motherboard again, and I installed everything. Still not working! So, I wondered, maybe the GPU is DOA. So I tested it on my dad's PC, and it worked fine immediately!

Clearly it is something in my system that's not working but it is not the motherboard and not the GPU. I would be very surprised if it was the PSU, as it is a month old Corsair RM850x, which should be more than enough. Could it be the CPU somehow? What do you people think can be the problem? I already reset my BIOS multiple times, uninstalled all drivers with DDU and checked all the cables. Didn't work.

I'm currently quite upset with everything... I hope you can help me! Thanks in advance.

PC part list:
CPU: Intel 10700K
MoBo: Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
PSU: Corsair RM850x
RAM: Gskill Trident Z RGB 32 GB @ 4000 MHz CL15
CPU cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB
GPU: Asus RX 6800 XT Strix LC
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic

Reactions: demisrael
Dear people,

Finally, my new GPU came in. It's the Asus RX 6800 XT LC model, which I was very excited for. I installed the graphics card and started the system again and... no signal, just a black screen.

So, I put the DP cable back into the motherboard (iGPU of my 10700K) and checked the BIOS. It didn't detect anything in the PCIe slots. However, the fans of the GPU were spinning. This made me believe that my motherboard was not working as it should.

As I also had some issues with a previous card, but didn't investigate the problem at that time because it was only temporary, I reached out to the webshop where I bought the parts from and asked them for advice. They said as well that it could be the motherboard. After I sent them my motherboard, they tested it and it worked absolutely fine for them. They tested multiple graphics cards and other PCIe devices. All functioned fine.

So today I received my motherboard again, and I installed everything. Still not working! So, I wondered, maybe the GPU is DOA. So I tested it on my dad's PC, and it worked fine immediately!

Clearly it is something in my system that's not working but it is not the motherboard and not the GPU. I would be very surprised if it was the PSU, as it is a month old Corsair RM850x, which should be more than enough. Could it be the CPU somehow? What do you people think can be the problem? I already reset my BIOS multiple times, uninstalled all drivers with DDU and checked all the cables. Didn't work.

I'm currently quite upset with everything... I hope you can help me! Thanks in advance.

PC part list:
CPU: Intel 10700K
MoBo: Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
PSU: Corsair RM850x
RAM: Gskill Trident Z RGB 32 GB @ 4000 MHz CL15
CPU cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB
GPU: Asus RX 6800 XT Strix LC
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Did you disable the intergated gpu in bios and enable the gpu?

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
How sure are you the repair shop actually did something. Do you know these people well? Did they show you proof of the PC posting? Because you tried everything, so I'm starting to doubt the genuinity of those people. Like did they actually try to attach a gpu on the motherboard and not simply ran an integrated graphics gpu and called it a day? And i really don't see how a CPU could hinder the PC to post because of a gpu. Especially when it works on its integrated graphics. (the fans spinning/rgb lightning means literally nothing btw, it just means the card is receiving electric power to run the fans or the leds, not that the card if functioning correctly... not your case since you tested the card in your dad's rig, but just saying for the future).

Also, since you didn't try, i am assuming your dad's pc is relying on integrated graphics too. If not absolutely try his gpu on your rig to make sure it isn't the pci e slot being busted.

Last edited:

PcGamerFromHolland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
How sure are you the repair shop actually did something. Do you know these people well? Did they show you proof of the PC posting? Because you tried everything, so I'm starting to doubt the genuinity of those people. Like did they actually try to attach a gpu on the motherboard and not simply ran an integrated graphics gpu and called it a day? And i really don't see how a CPU could hinder the PC to post because of a gpu. Especially when it works on its integrated graphics. (the fans spinning/rgb lightning means literally nothing btw, it just means the card is receiving electric power to run the fans or the leds, not that the card if functioning correctly... not your case since you tested the card in your dad's rig, but just saying for the future).

Also, since you didn't try, i am assuming your dad's pc is relying on integrated graphics too. If not absolutely try his gpu on your rig to make sure it isn't the pci e slot being busted.
Thanks for your response. The store I bought from is one of the most trusted stores in my country, so that should be fine. They said they tested 3 GPU's and an PCIe sound card too. All functioned correctly. I have the same issue with my dad's GPU, doesn't function either. My GPU in his PC works fine though.

PcGamerFromHolland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
Okay I'm finally back!

A quick update on what happened in the past few weeks:
After communicating with the webshop they asked me to send my CPU, RAM, MoBo and GPU so they could perform a combination test. After the shipped package was lost at their store for 2 weeks, they finally did the test and again, everything worked fine for them! You could imagine my reaction... o_O

So they sent everything back, with no change whats however.

Meanwhile I had enough time to think about other problems and decided that it could be some corrupt file on my SSD.
So today I put everything back in my computer, just like it was before, and of course, I had no video output from the GPU, only from the iGPU of the CPU. I reinstalled Windows on the SSD, which didn't help unfortunately.

What I did then was creating a Windows Media Creation/Boot on a USB stick and removed the SSD from the motherboard. The PC automatically booted from the USB stick. The DP cable was plugged in to the GPU and finally, I had video output from the GPU!! It was the first time I saw the GPU in action inside my PC so I was very happy.

However, I don't know what to do next. I can't install Windows from the USB as there is no disk to install it on. Also, the SSD itself isn't broken right? As I do have video output with the iGPU.

Another strange thing that probably is related to this, is when I put my SSD in my dads PC, it also won't boot into Windows, only the BIOS (He has a Ryzen CPU, so no iGPU).

What could be the problem and how can I solve it? I feel like I'm getting closer to the final solution! Thanks in advance!

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
There's probably nothing wrong with the SSD, it's a problem with the windows installation sitting on that SSD. If you don't feel like reinstalling the OS, performing windows installation reset may clear it out for you, but naturally you will loose all your files and previous settings. A third options, being the devils' advocate is to disable IGPU in bios. Video output will go to first available display adapter, which would have been the pciexpress card.

PcGamerFromHolland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
Thanks for your suggestions. I already tried disabling the iGPU, but that did not help. I reinstalled Windows twice, but in order to do that, I had to use the iGPU. The first time I did the whole process on the iGPU only, and the second time I quickly changed the cable from the MoBo to the GPU, but that didn't work either. How can I clean my SSD properly?

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
in windows environment that would be accomplished
in command prompt cmd.exe ( as administrator)

diskpart

diskpart> list disk ( it will list all disks attached by number )

change focus to disk you want to make changes

diskpart> select disk {number} (number of the disk you want to work on as it was listed in list disk command )

to quickly wipe all partition information

diskpart> clean

to clean and overwrite actual data, this is uncessary in your case, unless you want to sell the drive to a stranger

diskpart> clean all

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Thanks. It gives a Virtual Disk Service error as I think you can't clean the SSD if it's the only one in your system.

you can't wipe the disk you're currently booted pc on, that drive will be locked,
the way you can do it by attaching that SSD to a different pc with usb/thunderbolt enclosure after that pc is booted to windows already.
you will be able to wipe it the way i showed you earlier.

don't attach SSD internally to SATA headers while the PC is running however, please use external craddle/enclosure.

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
sure hold down whatever the key is to access bios while your computer is starting up, depending on manufacturer it's something like F2, F8 or F10. Once you're in bios, scroll down to boot options, and change boot priority to first priority being the disk you want to boot from , than save&exit and reboot the machine.

PcGamerFromHolland

Honorable
Apr 3, 2016
Unfortunately, I can't use the external SSD as I get the error message that it is not possible to install Windows on a USB device (Samsung T5).

But going back to the root of the problem:

When my SSD is installed, the GPU doesn't work, only the iGPU. When it's not installed, it does work, but I can only go into the BIOS (where it's detected) or to the USB stick to install Windows on a disk, but as there is no disk in the system, I'm stuck there.

What should I do?

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
in that case use Gparted live version. You can install it on usb stick. Change priority in bios to boot from USB first, restart computer with USB stick inserted and it will take you straight to partition managment software. You will find detail instructions how download the program and use it with usb stick on this page.

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

Status
Not open for further replies.