Question New GPU not working, please help

vintagepax

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
I just bought a new GTX 1650 in order to replace my old GTX 950. The motherboard is a z170-p d3.

However, I have to plug the HDMI into the motherboard because the card doesn't have drivers installed so therefore a black screen is all I get. Easy enough, right? Well even with drivers installed from the included disc, my computer refuses to detect my card at all. And because of this, trying to download the latest drivers from Nvidia's website comes up with a compatibility error: "incompatible with this version of Windows"

I'm at a loss, where am I going wrong? Motherboard incompatibility? A brand-new card that's somehow borked?

Did you connect the PCI-e cable to the GPU ? Which PSU are you using ? You need to plug the Monitor's cable to the GPU. Do you also have the latest BIOS installed on this system ?? Clear and reset all the CMOS/BIOS settings to default, if need be.

Nvm, that card doesn't require any external power connectors.

Last edited:
What does it say under the DEVICE Manager settings, when you use the motherboard's onboard graphics to boot the OS ? Does it say, "Microsoft basic windows adapter" for the GPU entry ?

Also, assuming you can boot the system with the GPU installed, just make sure you are installing the GAME ready drivers/GRD, and not the Creator version/CRD. Also, there are 2 driver types, DCH and Standard. Which one did you install ? By the way, DCH drivers cannot be installed over Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

To check which display driver type you need, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following : DCH or Standard, assuming you are able to install the drivers.

Just make sure you are installing the correct driver version as well, i.e 64-bit if using a 64-bit OS, and not 32-bit.

Last edited:

vintagepax

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
AFAIK the 1650 doesn't have an external power slot, it takes power from the Motherboard or something? And I've tried downloading BIOS drivers but it tells me I'm about to overwrite my drivers with out-of-date files. The Nvidia website will not let me download game ready drivers and the control panel does not detect my GPU and refuses to open. And yes, I'm using up to date Windows 10.

I'm new to this so I quite literally have no idea where to go from here.

AFAIK the 1650 doesn't have an external power slot, it takes power from the Motherboard or something?

Yes, I know that. I have edited my previous reply as well.

And I've tried downloading BIOS drivers but it tells me I'm about to overwrite my drivers with out-of-date files.

I'm not sure how you are updating the BIOS, but first download this SPECCY software to get more system info, especially the current BIOS version installed on your PC. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

The Nvidia website will not let me download game ready drivers and the control panel does not detect my GPU and refuses to open.

You can still try to install the drivers, assuming the GPU has been properly plugged on the PCI-e slot. What does it say under the DEVICE Manager settings, when you use the motherboard's onboard graphics to boot the OS ? Does it say, "Microsoft basic windows adapter" for the GPU entry ?

If yes, then you can still try installing the correct drivers. Also, like mentioned before, you need to plug the Monitor's cable to the GPU, not the onboard graphics.

Reactions: vintagepax

vintagepax

Prominent
Jun 19, 2019
Okay, I solved the problem: I didn't have the card slotted all the way in because I was being delicate with it since it's new.

So, chalk it up to me being an idiot. I do appreciate the helpful advice though!

Okay, I solved the problem: I didn't have the card slotted all the way in because I was being delicate with it since it's new.

Glad to hear that. So the card wasn't seated properly on the PCI-e slot ? Mark this thread/topic as solved, by clicking on "trophy" icon on the left side on any of the replies posted under this topic, be it rgd1101, mine, or even your own comment/reply. Whichever you think is appropriate.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-award-best-answers-mark-question-as-solved.3450478/