Question new GPU not working

Nov 12, 2019
I just upgraded my GPU. When I play 4K and 6K videos they lag very badly. When I look at the performance in task manager my GPU is idling at about 3% and my CPU hovers a little above 50%.

My CPU and Motherboard are about 6 years old, but I thought a new GPU would be enough to play 4K and 6K videos. Even if it wasn’t, I would figure it should be maxed out, but it’s only using 3% of my GPU.

The drivers seem to be installed correctly and my video card is showing in the device manger.
I have set the apps I use to play videos to “High Performance” in the graphics settings which is supposed to default that app to use my dedicated GPU.

I am using a PCIe 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot, but it’s only using 3% GPU so I don’t think that’s the problem. If it was maxing out the GPU I could understand my GPU just wasn’t powerful enough, but it’s as if it’s not using the GPU at all when I play videos.
My next step is to do a windows reinstall but I am really really trying to avoid that as my internet is very slow and downloading all the updates and drivers after a fresh reinstall literally takes days on my connection. I really want to avoid that so hopefully someone has some other solutions I can try first.

I've played around with the Radeon settings but they are all kind of cryptic to me so I'm not sure what specifically would need changed. I have the microsoft HEVC Codec installed for windows media player and have also tried VLC player. Neither works for 4K or 6K very well.

My specs and screenshots are attached.
Thanks.

View: https://imgur.com/xwRcrNH
(screenshot of task manager performance for clarification)
View: https://imgur.com/mv1pJ4S
(screenshot of app graphic settings for clarification)

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-Core 4 GHz
Memory: 32GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600 (4x 8GB)
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 570 RS 1286MHz, 8gb GDDR5, DX12 (using PCIe 2.0)
Disk: 500GB SATA III SSD

Nov 12, 2019
pick to use the rx 570 for hardware acceleration?

I did set this to automatic last night. I don't recall hitting save so perhaps it didn't save the setting. I will check when I get home back to my desktop. I want all my video player apps to work, especially the ones to play on my VR headset (i.e. Play'a and Skybox) so would changing the VLC hardware acceleration setting just apply to VLC or is that somehow a universal setting?

Nov 12, 2019
just vlc. different app have different settings

I tried to find similar settings in other apps but really don't see any. I assumed that changing the apps settings under graphic settings as in my screenshot would have done the trick, but no luck. Play'a support suggested installing microsoft's HEVC Codec, which I did but it still lags. Windows Media Player wouldn't even open a 6K video until I installed the HEVC Codec, now they will open but plays at maybe 2 frames per second. Definitely not watchable.

Nov 12, 2019
did you uninstall the old gpu driver before install the driver for this rx 570?
Yep. all my old NIVIDA drivers seemed to uninstall fine. After it didn't work at first I used CCleaner to clean the registry. I thought maybe there were settings left behind but it still didn't work after running CCleaner.