[SOLVED] New GPU now have to hold pwr button to boot. Also shuts down instead of sleep. RX 6600 xt blinks red either way.

Dec 12, 2021
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
M.B.: Asus Tuf x570 pro + wifi
GPU: XFX Quick 308 RX 6600 XT
RAM: 32gb TFORCE 3200
PSU: Corsair RM 750 Watt

Installed new graphics card. At first i thought i fryed my system. When i hit the power button it just flashed on and off. After further testing i found that if i held the power button for a full one one-thousand that it boots up. Note the gpu flashes a red light when i boot yes when i fail the hold down the power button too. Another symptom that its having is that it shuts off when put into sleep mod, yes i have double checked windows settings to make sure there wasnt an issue there and yes the red light on the gpu come on as it all shuts off. Also Note: yes i did use ddu to clear the old drivers before installing the new card.

Last edited:
Solution

Installed new graphics card. At first i thought i fryed my system. When i hit the power button it just flashed on and off. After further testing i found that if i held the power button for a full one one-thousand that it boots up. Note the gpu flashes a red light when i boot yes when i fail the hold down the power button too. Another symptom that its having is that it shuts off when put into sleep mod, yes i have double checked windows settings to make sure there wasnt an issue there and yes the red light on the gpu come on as it all shuts off. Also Note: yes i did use ddu to clear the old drivers before...

Installed new graphics card. At first i thought i fryed my system. When i hit the power button it just flashed on and off. After further testing i found that if i held the power button for a full one one-thousand that it boots up. Note the gpu flashes a red light when i boot yes when i fail the hold down the power button too. Another symptom that its having is that it shuts off when put into sleep mod, yes i have double checked windows settings to make sure there wasnt an issue there and yes the red light on the gpu come on as it all shuts off. Also Note: yes i did use ddu to clear the old drivers before installing the new card.
If you could boot to windows, try these step by step:

Try this step by step (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) and the chipset in control panel, like this:
    unknown.png

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings, find HPET or High Precision Event Timer and disable that, and force the pcie on 3.0 only, then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot and go to power plan and choose amd ryzen balanced, then connect to internet.

• Install the latest radeon driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update).
  • Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 12, 2021
Okay did and checked all the things. No change in behavior. Bios, chipset, windows and driver all up to date now. Thought i was on top of that. Eeek... Thanks for all the info. Any other advise?

Last edited: