Question New GPU on a weaker Motherboard - problem with running demanding games.

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I replaced an old rx 560 with a brand new MSI mech rx 6650 xt and I now have stutter problems in newer games some older to. Sometimes games run smoothly but in many cases they start stuttering and lagging. Also I figured it could be the PCIE 3.0 motherboard ASRock H310CM that doesn't support PCIE 4.0 GPU too well. I have a i5 9400f CPU running at 3900mhz and 16gb of RAM. Power supply is also enough powerful - 650W.If there's anything that can be done to improve this please someone to let me know, except buying a better motherboard. Tnx.

Last edited:

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
Alright, many thanks, I'll do this.
I tried, but i don't think it helped. I cannot enter the safe mode on that PC. I used DDU and it unninstaled previous drivers of AMD, then I just reinstalled the adrenaline software hoping it would download the right drivers for 6650xt. I also spotted an nvidia physx installed on the system, then i immediately uninstalled it, don't even know how that got there.

Reactions: kurdtnz

svorcs

Reputable
Nov 5, 2018
I tried, but i don't think it helped. I cannot enter the safe mode on that PC. I used DDU and it unninstaled previous drivers of AMD, then I just reinstalled the adrenaline software hoping it would download the right drivers for 6650xt. I also spotted an nvidia physx installed on the system, then i immediately uninstalled it, don't even know how that got there.
I successfully entered safe mode using msconfig without network, used DDU to remove all old AMD and also did clean Nvidia drivers that might be on system. Then I booted normally installed adrenaline software again with factory reset, run some games, at first thought it seemed they run smoothly, then in some other more demanding ones the stuttering is still persistent. So I really have no idea on what else can help. Maybe the motherboard is not handling the GPU properly.